Menu
yavuzkilic
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

what mesh system is good for speeds over 350Mbps

Actually turns out that TP - LINK DECO P9, which supposedly has 2x gigabit Ethernet ports which should have no issue to go speeds up to 1GBps, however this appears not to be the case. I have Virgin Media 350Mbps with Hub 3, and recently got hold of Deco P9 and can get them set, however I cannot go beyond 250MBps with Deco P9. If I opearate Hub 3 in router mode, and when I am next to it, however, I can see wireless speeds of over 377Mbps with my iPhone. So, Deco P9 is only good for up to 200Mbps as it seems.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: what mesh system is good for speeds over 350Mbps

The P9 is an 802.11ac unit, so over wifi the fastest you'll see is around 600 Mbps, and then only through the primary mesh unit.  And because it is a dual band system the secondary nodes will be much slower.  Try using the P9 in router mode, and enable QoS on the Deco app for any device that needs the highest speeds.   It ought to be able to max out your 350 Mbps connection through the primary node, but it will drop off with distance and notably if you are connected to the secondary nodes - mesh systems are mostly designed to deliver great coverage rather than peak speeds. 

If you really demand the ultimate speed over mesh, then you're looking for a Wifi 6 tri-band system, costing around £400 for a two unit system (and proportionately more if you add other mesh nodes).  Something like this, for example:

https://uk.pcmag.com/wi-fi-mesh-networking-system/127251/asus-zenwifi-ax-xt8

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

yavuzkilic
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Andruser for your kind reply below. I set QoS on the Deco app for my iPhone 12 Pro Max, and set limits of max 400Mbps download, 50Mbps upload and still no good to see the speeds beyond 200Mbps and that also varies depending on how far I am from P9. Even when next to the main P9 acting as a router (I forgot to mention that I set VM Hub3 to modem mode, and Deco main P9 as the router) still no good. I guess your good advice on WiFI 6 tri-band system might be the way forward. I do have another issue, however, whereby my garden office is at the far end of my garden and I need internet in the office and also in the garden. I was contemplating getting an outdoor WiFi access point such as TP-Link EAP225 Outdoor AC1200 to connect to the internet in the garden, and the office in the garden. This might not be the best solution in my case. As you suggested I wonder if I go for a WiFi 6 tri-band 3 unit system, have 2 of them in the house, and third one with ethernet cable from home to the garden office, would this let me have internet in the garden as well? Or would I be better off on the top of that to install outdoor access point as well if I need to have internet in the garden too?

Many thanks in advance for your kind help.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Cable to your garden office, that's the way to go.  Once cabled, you can add a switch and an wifi access point which should cover your garden as well as the Office.

yavuzkilic
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Adduxi,

Thanks for your suggestion. Do you mean once I run an ethernet cable from say main router to the garden, and then connect this to a satellite node within the garden office, and an additional access point? I was hoping if I have a satellite node WiFi 6 tri-band in the garden office this should also allow me to have some coverage in the garden, as well as the satellite node in the living room at the back of the house to help at the garden nearer the living room at the back?

Many thanks in advance for your kind inputs.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I would suspect once you have a network switch in the Office, connected by cable to the Hub, you can add a good Access Point. This should give coverage to the Office and garden.  Something like a Unifi AC Pro for the access point.

0 Kudos
yavuzkilic
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the kind reply again. What if I go for NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System (RBK753), where I use the main unit and one satellite in the house, and wire the second satellite over ethernet cable in the garden office? Would this make sure I have internet everywhere in the house, in the garden office and the garden? The distance from my living room at back of the house to the end of garden where garden office is around 65 feet or so

0 Kudos
yavuzkilic
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I wanted to ask if anybody know, if I use Asus Zenwifi XT8 2-pack system, one of them in router mode, and second one in satellite mode, could I also keep the Virgin Media Hub3 in router mode? Would that work?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@yavuzkilic wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to ask if anybody know, if I use Asus Zenwifi XT8 2-pack system, one of them in router mode, and second one in satellite mode, could I also keep the Virgin Media Hub3 in router mode? Would that work?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

it would function, but there's no good reason to do it really.. the asus unit is a vastly better router than the hub.. 

you would also be introducing something called double-nat, which in and of itself isn't a problem, but it would give you headaches over time as some stuff wouldn't work properly (e.g. upnp) and you would need to know how to work around the double-nat to make it all work properly.. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@yavuzkilic wrote:

Hi,

If you want double NAT and let the hub do NAT then terrible but ok.

---------------------------------------------------------------