Menu
Vijaysud
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

url not opening on Virgin home broadband wifi

Hi, so there is a URL which does not open up on Virgin Wifi. It is www.adib.ae - it is a bank's website which opens fine on 4G/cellular and even on Virgin Media public wifi.

on the home wifi it gives the error as

"

This site can't be reached

adib.ae's server IP address could not be found. 
try:

checking the connection

Err_name_not_resolved

"

The bank's App also does not work on virgin's home wifi but works everywhere else, which is really frustrating.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: url not opening on Virgin home broadband wifi

Works just fine for me here ....

Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 17.15.27.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Vijaysud
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi John, well that's my point. The error is because of some setting on my home wifi which is causing this particular website to not open. It is opening everywhere else.

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

try changing the DNS servers on teh device you're trying to connect with to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

details on how to do this (for various different operating systems) can be found here

Vijaysud
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you @sophist; this worked amazingly on both laptop and phone. But I wanted to check, there should be a solution to resolve the issue for all devices i.e. making some kind of change on the router settings of Virgin, correct? Would you be able to guide on that. 

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, you can’t change the dns settings on the VM hub. You’ll have to set this manually on any device you want to access that site from… if you had your own 3rd party router you’d be able to configure it to setup whatever dns servers you liked…

is this a problem that has started recently? If so, you may find that it resolves itself in a few days… could just be some caching on vm’s dns servers that’s not working properly but will sort itself out when the cache expires.. if it’s been a problem for a while then it might be something different and will need some more investigation 

0 Kudos
Vijaysud
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well, we recently got VM connection, so really not sure if we ever opened the bank website after the connection but only after thorough check with the bank I reached out here. But I am surprised that VM twchnical support team is unavailable for almost past 10 days and it's just impossible to pass the bot over phone or chat! Sigh!

0 Kudos
Vijaysud
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Dear Virgin Media team,

i need help from your technical team because the mobile application of ADIB bank is still NOT working on wifi. Adding the dns server made the website work but not the application. 

The app works completely fine elsewhere except home wifi 🤔😵💫 #puzzled

The bank also checked all possibilities at their end. 

Please contact me urgently. 

PS: if anybody knows how to resolve then please help, in lieu I am willing to call/chat online with VM's Bot and waste 5 minutes of my life on it! (Sic) 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Vijaysud wrote:

Dear Virgin Media team,

i need help from your technical team because the mobile application of ADIB bank is still NOT working on wifi. Adding the dns server made the website work but not the application. 

The app works completely fine elsewhere except home wifi 🤔😵💫 #puzzled

The bank also checked all possibilities at their end. 

Please contact me urgently. 

PS: if anybody knows how to resolve then please help, in lieu I am willing to call/chat online with VM's Bot and waste 5 minutes of my life on it! (Sic) 

The app is working for me (I cannot test fully as I don't have an account with that bank).

What device are you running the app on?

Does that device have the non VM DNS (Google DNS) set as advised previously?

Do you get any error message?

To look further I would need a trace - I don't suppose you can capture a trace?

Can you get any support from the bank?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

And, since VM will likely ask you anyway - try rebooting (power off/on) the Hub - and if that does not work try a factory reset using the pinhole button for a minute.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos