Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

superhub 3 Router randomly dropping speed from 1Gb to 100MB on all ethernet ports

hello

Been having problems since first got the superhub 3, on one port, but have manged on 3 ports for a couple of years.

In the last couple months been randomly dropping speds to 100mb on all the ethernet ports. Resets have sometimes restored to 1Gb sometimes unplugging from ports for a while has helped.

Things have now escalated and all ports are not resetting, even left unplugged overnight, over multiple attempts but then randomly come back to 1Gb.

Tested 7 cables, 3 computers, 2 laptops all show the same 100Mb ethernet connection.

Alongside the ethernet at 100Mb there is a noticable sluggishness in gaming, streaming etc. Speedtest.net reports 66Mb downlod on a 100Mb internet service while it reports 103Mb when running on a 1Gb ethernet port. Some games are unplayable when it's running on a 100Mb port due to this laggy sluggishness which also suggests that this slower 66Mb speed is not the only issue caused by the ports. (I would normaly expect 66Mb to be plenty for most games)

Today have gone through all the reset options in online help, checked again with different cables and computer, performed a factory reset.

Tried to find Virgin Media live chat but not showing on any webpages, tried to phone on the 0345 number but got disconnected after a few minuttes waiting.

Given the escalation in port issues i'm hoping the Superhub 3 will get replaced if one of the Virgin Media Help Team sees this post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: superhub 3 Router randomly dropping speed from 1Gb to 100MB on all ethernet ports

Then you'll be waiting 5-7 days for the forum team to respond if you choose to wait here

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: superhub 3 Router randomly dropping speed from 1Gb to 100MB on all ethernet ports

Hello @andy_pablo 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your hub. 

Are you able to let me know what speed you are currently subscribed to? If you are on a 1gb speed, were you not provided with the hub 4? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak. Thank you for responding.

I am currently subscribed to 100mb service & have a hub 3. I was not provided a hub 4.

Please advise.

Andy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy_Pablo

Thanks for your reply, I have checked remotely and can see everything looks fine, the minimum speed on a 100mb is 54 Mbps are you able to set up a live BQM graph to see if you have any packet loss? 

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Zoie_P

It looks like you and Zac have both misinterpretted the problem to be with the internet speed so i would like to clarify that the problem is with the speed/latency of the ethernet ports.

The superhub 3 is a modem / router and there appears to be no problem with the modem side as you have checked the internet signal to the modem and i have done the same.

The Router side should run at 1Gb for any modern equipment plugged into one of the four ethernet ports the problem is that the ports now only deliver 100Mb with a lag / latency when data is passed through to the modem.

The following is all copy / pasted live at time of writing.

Here is my network info for this computer plugged into one of the ethernet network ports.

Name: Ethernet 2
Description: Realtek Gaming GbE Family Controller
Physical address (MAC): *:*:*:*:*:*
Maximum transmission unit: 1500
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 100/100 (Mbps)
DHCP enabled: No
IPv4 address: 192.168.0.*/24
IPv6 address: fe80::*:*:*:*%3/64
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
Network name: Network 3
Network category: Public
Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Connected to Internet / Connected to unknown network

here is the Routers current "Connected Devices" list copy / pasted from the router

Device name      MAC address            IP address       Speed(Mbps)         Connected to

iPad*192.168.0.*/24634.76WI-FI 5G VM******
XBOXONE*192.168.0.*/24100Ethernet
HOME*192.168.0.*/24100Ethernet

As you can see two ethernet ports are in use and both are running at 100Mbps, sadly wifi is faster than cable

Speedtest.net results to virgin media server in London

Ping ms
Download Mbps
Upload Mbps

This normaly shows a download of 103Mbps when ethernet port is running at 1Gb (unable to post this as no ports currently running at 1Gb)

With all the above in mind i refer you back to the origin post which contains info on fault diagnosis carried out.

Remedy

I believe that there is a problem with the chip / circuit that delivers the transfer of data between the modem and the router and therefore the only remedy is to replace the superhub 3

Thank you for your continued attention

Andy_Pablo

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I have had a look at things our end and can see there may be a issue with the router, so I can try to help I would like to invite you into a private chat, I will send an invite shortly, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul. 

0 Kudos