Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

super hub 3 WiFi drops

hi, for the past 2 months my WiFi keeps dropping on my super hub, am an NHS key worker and I don't have any wired connections all my devices rely on WiFi,  I have managed to get my router replaced but getting through to tech support is non existent as the only option I keep getting is to factory reset the device....I have the same issue with the new router, the position of the Hub is the same as its always been for the last year its been fine and now it randomly drops which is frustrating as my VPN drops and all other devices also drop

I need this resolving ASAP as its affecting my work

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: super hub 3 WiFi drops

Virgin don’t guarantee WiFi speeds or connectivity.

You need to use a wired connection to ascertain where the issue lies. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yep I've had the exact same issue for the past few months. 2 engineers have been called out...the first replaced the hub, but after a few days issue started again,  the 2nd engineer replaced some cables feeding the hub. Again, seemed to fix the issue for a few days but now reoccurring. Very frustrating when working from home, home schooling etc. Can this be fixed or do i need to look for a new provider?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

its really poor, we're all.paying for a service,  I've changed WiFi channels, relocated and it keeps happening , I am not sitting uncomfortably wired as its the only way I am able to work today

I understand its a signal issue and local to the hub, but its just recently,  I have a colleague whose advised the same, constant drops which really doesn't make any sense, I don't really want to spend money on an issue that isn't local to.me, nothing has changed on my end, there must be a firmware fix perhaps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Pf1980 wrote:

... snip ...

If you want assistance please start your own thread.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@momo1982 wrote:

its really poor, we're all.paying for a service,  I've changed WiFi channels, relocated and it keeps happening , I am not sitting uncomfortably wired as its the only way I am able to work today

I understand its a signal issue and local to the hub, but its just recently,  I have a colleague whose advised the same, constant drops which really doesn't make any sense, I don't really want to spend money on an issue that isn't local to.me, nothing has changed on my end, there must be a firmware fix perhaps

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@momo1982 wrote:

You pay for wired/cable speeds and service. Not Wifi.

Nothing needs to change on your end to affect wifi coverage - it can be a neighbour or someone in close proximity to you who has recently purchased a stronger router that's knocking your signal off.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

so basically I need to purchase a 3rd party router and stick the VM in modem mode? 

nothing has changed whatsoever in the house as the device has been in its position for over a year without issues, I have tried to relocate it but there's not much cable from the point to move it.

what would you recommend it a good option in terms of a 3rd party kit

thanks

mo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@momo1982 wrote:

so basically I need to purchase a 3rd party router and stick the VM in modem mode? 

nothing has changed whatsoever in the house as the device has been in its position for over a year without issues, I have tried to relocate it but there's not much cable from the point to move it.

what would you recommend it a good option in terms of a 3rd party kit

thanks

mo

If you want decent wifi coverage, then yes.

And as for recommendations it depends what you're looking for (router, mesh, access points) and budget, house size, coverage required etc etc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry don't understand,  why would I start a new thread if it's the same issue?

0 Kudos