Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

smart TV slow internet speeds

Due to location the TV has to be connected by wireless.I have always noticed that speed tests on my new Samsung Q65T are never above 30 Mbps using Ookla. Same with all the smart TVs I have ever had. Everything seems to stream ok. I have just upgraded to 350 Mbps. I have also just fitted an Asus rt-ax58u wi-fi 6 ax3000 router. My galaxy S9+  achieved a wireless speed test result of 384 Mbps which was very impressive. Why do smart TVs throttle the broadband speed so much?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: smart TV slow internet speeds

Hello

How is the TV connected to the internet is it wired or wireless ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

smart TV need very little bandwidth. even streaming at 4k they will never use more than 50mbps.
They can only do one thing at a time and have very slow and limited system resources.

Why would you spend loads of extra money to build hardware that can and will never get used?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

They don’t need much bandwidth and they’re usually fitted with cheap wireless cards   

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos