Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

slow speeds and dropping out.

Help please. Small house shared by 3 students, reliant on a stable service for online lectures. Video Calls dropping out, slow speeds.  Service rented is M100. New Hub 3 router. Speed measured through Virgin site over 8 days at same time in morning is max 45mbps on one day only and about 30mbps average, i.e.well below guaranteed speed. Impossible to get to talk to anyone at Virgin about this. Service is a disgrace despite Covid. Can anyone help please. Not technically savvy. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow speeds and dropping out.

Measured with a wired or wireless connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The test is made via the Virgin web site, i.e. you log onto your account and then look for broadband speed test, so I assume it is wired through to the router. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@MyottNutter wrote:

The test is made via the Virgin web site, i.e. you log onto your account and then look for broadband speed test, so I assume it is wired through to the router. 

Well, was the device you were using wired to the hub by Ethernet cable or were you using the WiFi connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is the device you are using connect to the Hub with Wi-Fi or an ethernet cable ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Soprry for the delay. I had to confirm how devices were being used. I am not at the property. Measurements have been taken with devices using wi-fi. Yesterday a film was buffering and a game could not be played. 2 laptops in use, both in the same room as the router. A third machine in a different part of the house was taking part in online lecture. Hope that clarifies the situation.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You need to test speeds and connectivity with wired devices

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I hope to visit the house this afternoon and can check then. How do you connect a smartphone though?.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well a phone would be wireless unless you buy an adaptor.

But you need to find something to run a wired test with - PC, Laptop..

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi MyottNutter

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. My apologies for the delayed reply and the broadband issues. 

I've checked the system today and this does need a technician visit as some of the downstream power levels are out of spec. 

I'll PM you now to advise of the date and time booked in

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos