Menu
leannedupley
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

slow internet

Hi I was told my a virgin media representative on their twitter account to come on here so someone can check my broadband as it's been really slow the last few weeks. I just did a speed test on speedtest.net I've got Ping 12 ms, Download 0.78 mbps and upload 4.35mbps. No idea what that means but it's slow! pages not loading and my partner works from home so not ideal!! Used to be fine, never had problems before and been with virgin 12 months. I've ran about 4 tests now and no problems found. Everything has been rebooted a million times. Theres currently just my laptop connected on wifi and it's slow as hell! Thanks
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow internet

First of all you will need to test with the laptop connected directly to the Hub by CAT 5E or better Ethernet cable.

This will give the true internet speed of your connection as wireless can be severely affected by many outside influences.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow internet

EDIT: As per griffin Smiley Happy

First thing is to connect your laptop to the Hub by Cat5e/6 ethernet cable and run the speed test again. If it is still slow, put the Hub into modem mode and run the test again on your wired laptop. Seee if that gives the speeds you want. If so... your issue is just wifi related.
Also worth a quick check if all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing (rabbit chews!). Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos