Menu
briankirk
Settling in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

slow broadband speed

I have the ultimate broadband package so should be getting around 500Mb/s. 

Sadly i do not even get the guaranteed minimum of 258. The speed fluctuates from 40Mb/s to at best around 200Mb/s. This is really unacceptable given the amount I pay each month and the minimum guaranteed speed is not even being achieved. Ofcom beckons.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow broadband speed

OFCOM won't care.

I presume you're running a wired test?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
briankirk
Settling in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My PC does not have a wired network connection. 

I did not have problems before but since Virgin launched this new intelligent approach to providing variable connection speed depending on need through its hubs I have been having the problem. Clearly if you are doing emails you need less speed than if you are streaming so if you can distribute speed based on device need then your supply infrastructure need not be as fast. This makes sense in a precovid world but now everyone is working from home doing internet video conferencing infrastructure capability must be stretched.  

Sad you don't think offcom will care. Who does care then ? Virgin certainly doesn't. Over the last week I have contacted their helpline five times. Each time they have reset the hub remotely with no effect. I spoke to an engineer over the weekend and he suggested rebooting the hub which then gave me 200Mb/s. He noted that I have the high end service but didn't make any attempt to try and find out why I wasn't getting the guaranteed minimum. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The speed guarantee is applicable to the speeds delivered TO the hub and those speeds achieved internally by wired devices only, not wireless.

There is no minimum speed for wifi devices - you have read the speed guarantee incorrectly.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi briankirk, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with slow speeds. I've taken a look at the account and can see the hub is showing as online and has been rebooted in the last few day. 

Looking at the devices connected to the hub, most of them are wireless however I can see 2 are through ethernet cable. One being the TiVo but the other device is not named. Is this a PC or a laptop? If so then you can run a speed test through speedtest.net using that device. Make sure your ethernet cable is a cat 6 and the network card is a 1GB one though first. 

I can see that the devices you have connected to the WiFi are mostly connecting to the 2.4gHz band so it may be worth separating the bands and re-joining the network so ensure you are on the best band for the device. You can do this following these steps: 

•    Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1

•    Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.

•    Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security

•    Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID) and the Wifi password (network key).

•    Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz and click on Apply changes.*

*    Make sure that both frequencies are named differently and are still identifiable

You can also try these tips and hints to optimise the WiFi as much as possible. Finally, you may also benefit from downloading the VM Connect App. You can use this to run scans to see what the issue may be. It will identify any dead spots and show you how to resolve them too.

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos