Menu
kfereday
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

slow broadband speed

I was told by Virgin that I had been upgrade to 200Mbps. However, my speeds range from less than 10Mbps to 33Mbps. I live in the WS11 area. Is any one suffering from the same problem.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow broadband speed

Is that over wifi or do you have the same problems on an ethernet cable connected device at the same time.

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.
So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a known good and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Test at speedtest.net (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into windows safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
kfereday
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow broadband speed

Thank you for the information. You were spot on.

I connect my laptop via an ether net cable and ran a test the results were;

download; 170Mbps

upload; 20Mbps

I cant connect my desk top directly with an ether net cable, however, what I will do is buy a "Net gear" package and plug one down by the router and connect to the router with an ether net cable and the second one close to my deck top pc and conect that to my pc via an ethernet cable. I think that should resolve the problem.

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards

Ken Fereday

0 Kudos