cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

running personal server for home use

stevo1210
Joining in

i have a server for home use is there away to secure it through the virgin media hub 4 

2 REPLIES 2

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you do not want to us1e it externally then do not do any redirects for port 80. It you want to use it externally then buy an SSL certificate.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

andybundy
Superfast

Security is a complex question and varies based on your perspective.

As a server owner, you want/need to protect yourself from an external threat.  For this we seek to prevent, block or restrict potential connections.  To do this we consider firewalls, IP filtering and other tactics.

As a user we'd like to consider that we are using the actual correct (and not a fake) server, and that our connection to it is encrypted and cannot be hacked.  In this area of use we consider SSL or TLS certificates which is a very complex area.

Regardless of your perspective, before one can give an answer which is helpful, could you answer perhaps the following...

1.  What is the server for?
2.  Is it for home use (your own network) or to be accessed from the general internet?
3.  Who will be using it (if external) and how do you control or distinguish between users?
4.  The big questions:

• What application are you running
  • How are you running the application (bare OS, installed app, docker, kubernetes or ....?)
  • Do you have a firewall running?
  • Have you researched any references on securing the application that you are using?

This may sound like a big dump of information - but you'll realise that the responses are quite simple, and overlap somewhat.

Securing applications properly is never a simple matter, and is something to be planned for as part of the overall planning - not just an after-thought.

Good luck

If my answer helped you, please mark it appropriately. It's always nice to be appreciated.
Stay Safe. Stay Healthy.
Andy Bundy
Remember: the answer I give is only as good as the question asked. The more relevant information you give, the better the answer you'll receive.