Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

residential vs business broadband

Hello

Anyone have experience of vm business broadband?

I have been looking to upgrade my to 350m but the price on residential is extortionate compared to the business rate. As we all working from home now we can qualify for business broadband which is £32 for 350m. Why they don't match this for residential I don't know.

However doing some research the router on the business broadband is handy as a door stop rather than anything else, really poor reviews.  I don't want go on it if the router is that bad, any thoughts?

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: residential vs business broadband

First thing to remember is you don't get TV on the Business contracts, I've been told that would mean a second line entering the property, one for media and one for BB.

The Hitron Hub gets very little air time on here, it has its own support mechanism.

Why would you want to go from residential to business, is it because it is cheaper or you having problems with your current set up ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The difference on price is that business broadband doesn't offer any of the extras like email for example, you will still have to use the Hitron hub and use it in Modem only mode but you cannot have the static IP addresses, as modem mode will only work with a dynamic IP address.

I know of a lot of Business Broadband customers and the majority of them do not seem to have a problem.

Be aware that this forum is a Residential forum, so we can only give generalized advice the best people to speak too woould be the VM business people and you can find all support options at https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-in-touch/contact-us/

There is no business support forum.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Business broadband prices exclude VAT and they are also 24 month contracts instead of 18 month contracts.

For example, M350 with Talk Weekends is £41 per month for 18 months, totalling £738, or £984 for 24 months.

Voom Fibre 1, plus a phone line, is £39 per month excl. VAT (£46.80 with VAT) for 24 months, which, with VAT totals £1166.40, an increase of £182.40 compared to M350.

That also only has a 7Mbps upload speed, compared to the 36Mbps you get with M350.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you should note that the 350Mbps package at £32pm only have 7Mbps upstream (Voom Fibre 1), compared to 36Mbps upstream on the residential package, and it's a 24 month contract.

none of the businesss M350 packages offer the same upstream as residential, the closes is 20Mbps but that costs £50pm (Voom Fibre 3)

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

yes because its a lot cheaper.  I only use VM for broadband so don't need phone or media.

but the poor router, low upload speed 7mbs is putting me off.

Ideally would want to stay on residential but close to the business price

loyal customer for nearly 20 years but loyalty isn't worth a bean these days ;-(

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

cheaper advertised price, but are you remember to add 20% VAT to the advertised price?

loyalty is a two way street, jumping ship for a cheaper price isn't showing much loyalty either.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No not adding 20%, i though it was just the advertised price.

Also who said anything about jumping ship? If VM want to run them as separate businesses that is not the customers issue.  

I just wanted customers opinion who have possibly had both services.  

However from this thread I have realised business BB evan have a separate forum.  

No worries will to just try haggle a better price for residential 350mb.

Thank you everyone who advised

0 Kudos