Menu
chris676
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

replacing router

are there likely to be slower internet speeds by putting virgin superhub 3 into modem mode?

If at all possible any router models that currently work well with virgin media if you could suggest me them?

kind regards chris.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: replacing router

What issues are you having with the Hub3.  Putting it into modem mode with your own router should not have any detrimental effect on connection speeds.  Which one(s) to go for depends on your budget and what additional tech specs and features you are looking for?.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have mine in modem mode on the vivid 350 package and I am using the Asus 1200G router .. https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-90IG0241-BM3000-Asus-RT-AC1200G-Router/dp/B019ZMMZ8I/ref=sr_1_19?s=com...

It works perfectly! my speeds are 99% over 350Mbps , more around the 380Mbps. The router handles all the traffic and I have a network of over 25 devices including media servers and smart Tvs, Gaming Pcs and Consoles, Ipads and Iphones. Also my wireless network footprint expanded with this router, and the baby camera stopped constantly "dropping" connection and now works perfectly!

Get your VM Router in modem mode, you wont regret it!

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
0 Kudos
johnmck
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I think I'm going to try the ASUS-901G0241 router mentioned in SKU11meister post. Sorry if a daft question, but how do I connect it to my hub 3.0? does it go into one of the two telephone ports or into one of the Ethernet ports?  Tks  john

0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you need to log into your router and put it into "modem mode". This shuts down all the router funtions that your new router will take over. Only one of the ethernet ports on the back of your superhub will then be active, you plug an ethernet cable into that port, and plug the other end into the WAN port on your new router.

The phone ports on the superhub are just for VOIP phones (your virgin phone line) just plug a phone into these and nothing else.

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
0 Kudos
johnmck
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for your response, that is very helpful, sounds like even I can do that:)

0 Kudos
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No worries, if you get stuick just shout 🙂

0 Kudos
johnmck
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just a quick update and to thank everyone for their help/input. I got the asus router, it was really easy to install and I am now a happy bunny with high speed broadband via wifi throughout most of my house. I'm getting 330mbs in all rooms apart from one where it is around 190mbs...happy days:)

0 Kudos