cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

regular outages and slow speeds

blueice1
Joining in

Hi, Having recently moved to VM from BT, it's been a constant struggle. Whilst having been assured of 100mbs speed, every check i've conducted online, through apps etc is anywhere between 6mbs and 33 mbps (i had 60+ with BT). I've done these tests at all times of the day and on a variety of days and still no decent speeds.

On top of that, I'm seeing regular outages - the connection seems to drop on and off throughout the day on various devices. There aren't any reported outages in our area at these times, we don't have any obvious blackspots in the house based on the app and that the outages are intermittent. 

Given we have a household of 3 people working from home, and haven't had any issues prior to moving to VM - I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do? the phone system seems almost impossible to actually speak to a person - I've ended in a loop multiple times, and the live chat bots just tell you reset your router every time and point you to an app which is a fruitless exercise of carrying out the same basic checks every time. I log on to my account and get a wonderfully ironic message of advising me i've been boosted to 100mbps which a) doesnt reflect my actual speeds and experience and b) would be useless anyway given the signal drops multiple times a day, disconnecting my devices.

Is there a way to actually get hold of VM? currently, working from home is involving tethering laptops to mobiles because the service is so intermittent and can't be relied upon to get through any important calls.

4 REPLIES 4

lotharmat
Community elder
Hiya,

How are you measuring the speed?

Wired or wireless?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hiya, and sorry - have been tied up with work. I have been measuring wirelessly but if i'm honest, my biggest issue right now is the losing connections because i can cope with slow speeds most of the time but having teams calls drop out throughout the day because the wifi just dies is causing significant work disruption, myself and my partner have used 60gb of mobile data this month because of constant tethering when it drops.

To rule out it being a broadband issue and just a wifi issue, can you connect your laptop to the hub by ethernet and see if the same dropouts occur!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi there @blueice1

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to hear this has happened! 

I'd love to try and get this sorted out for you, can I ask first if you are able to test the speeds and connection with an Ethernet cable at all as suggested by @lotharmat

Thank you.