Menu
JRBrierley
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

"Very Complex Issue" effecting complete service - 2 weeks no resolution

Apologies if this is the wrong board, can't see one for "nothing works".

For over two weeks I've had broadband issues as well as tivo service dropping out. Status monitor says all is well however calling in, once postcode is confirmed, I get an automated message explaining they are "sorry we're experiencing issues" and that there is a "very complex issue" in our area.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get past the automated comms to a human because my equipment tests fine.

I found a post on another site saying I should setup a broadband monitor, which I did. It shows dropped packets going between 10% and 40% on average, with a few 100% spikes here and there. I use Cisco to work from home and it's almost unresponsive most the time.

I don't seem to have much recourse here. I've tried twitter and calling to no resolve. Even just a date of when it will be resolved would be reassuring at this point.

A direct link to my broadband monitor is here (Area Ref 21)

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1b1a3307f59cdc1543d9d92bf87c5cfd93... 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: "Very Complex Issue" effecting complete service - 2 weeks no resolution

It's a known issue and the best info you will get is from the 0800 number.

Or as its a "local fault" do your excercise around your area and see if you can see VM engineers working on anything and ask them. I did that a few months ago when our street all went down, they replied its just a simple fix - will be done before we knock off this evening. And it was

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
JRBrierley
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As I said, tried calling to no avail and, unless they work in the evenings, I have no chance of catching an engineer in the day. It's been 2 weeks and so I don't think it's going to be as simple.

Is there a special trick for getting to a human on the number? At my wits end.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

0800 561 0061 is an "automated non-human number

So what does it say when you call it?

If there is a known fault it will tell you straight off the bat - if there isn't a known fault it will ramble on about some covid stuff or iPhone issues.

If you want a human call the other number (on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others) and do it at 08.00.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
JRBrierley
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, didn't know about that number but doesn't get me any more than the main one. Just says:

"We're sorry that you're still having intermittent problems with your virgin media, tv, broadband and phone services in the (postcode) area. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. However, as this is a really complex issue it's taking us a little longer than usual."

Out of curiosity, is there no hope of a response from Virgin on these forums?
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@JRBrierley wrote:

Out of curiosity, is there no hope of a response from Virgin on these forums?

They will reply - it just takes a few days (sometimes sooner, but probably 5 - 10 on average). 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@JRBrierley wrote:

"We're sorry that you're still having intermittent problems with your virgin media, tv, broadband and phone services in the (postcode) area. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. However, as this is a really complex issue it's taking us a little longer than usual."

If you get through thy wont know any more - the engineers have better things to do (see photo as an example) than call back to CS and say it will be fixed at 3pm, an then, no its now tomorrow at 5pm, then no .......

Just an example of why they can predict fix times accuratelyJust an example of why they can predict fix times accurately

--------------------
John
--------------------

JRBrierley
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Very good pic!

Look, I understand it's complex but at this point "it'll be fixed in January" would be nice. By looks of it you have dedication to the brand/community but I'm looking to understand: am I investing in a 4g service because this is going to take another 2 weeks... month... whatever, and how do I get a refund for a failure in supplying a £1068/year product. I'm not needing "it'll be fixed by 3pm or 5pm" at this point.

Edit: worth noting I'm in Zone 1 central London, not a country lane with 1 home.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Bottom line is it is VM company policy that they NEVER give guaranteed "fix dates" - they are always estimates and they will shift longer/shorter depending on whether its caused by a single severed cable or the mayhem shown in the photo.

Compensation is explained in this link - note it is dependent on total loss of service and your "timer" can be started on the 0800 number with a few button presses (I did it a few weeks ago when our cables were cut).

I would always advise that you should have a back up if connectivity is important/essential for you. My lad has an unlimited 4G data SIM from Three that we all used as a hotspot when our VM connection went down. But only you can decide how important that is for you and worth the outlay. But even those more "reliable" 4G/5G BB packages can have outages, and if you moved to a stand alone one of those, I would still say you should have a backup if connectivity is important to you.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

--------------------
John
--------------------

JRBrierley
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Perfect, will take a look but likely I'll have to speak to someone as the automated system on the web sees no issue. Thanks.
0 Kudos