Menu
TheUnconsoled
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

"Mailbox unavailable" - Changed password but not recognised!

Hi, last night I found my mailbox had become unavailable to me and the screen prompt advised me to be mindful of unsuccessful log-in attempts. I decided to change my password. which I do occasionally, here just in case some other party had been trying to log into my account. The process was so glitchy I had to make two efforts at the password change, one of which was followed by a confirmation email from webteam-at-virginmedia.com. However, I can't log in with either of those changed passwords now. The only one that works is the one I sought to change after I found my mailbox unavailable. I wonder if my mailbox has been "compromised"? Any thoughts welcomed.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: "Mailbox unavailable" - Changed password but not recognised!

So you can access the mail box with your old password?

Is this using webmail, or with a program/app on a device such as a laptop or phone?

I've had an issue in the past where I could not change/reset my mail password - it was an issue with the VM servers - it was made worse by the fact that the password to use client (app) access had ben corrupted by VM and I didn't know what it was - so I couldn't send emails from any of my devices - Virgin Media blamed Microsoft, Apple and Google Android saying they must all be wrong!  It was eventually resolved, months later, and I got compensation.

I doubt/I wouldn't assume that your account has been compromised - just poor IT 'back ends' at VM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
TheUnconsoled
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. I log into my Virgin mails through Chrome on my laptop and on my phone. At the moment I'm logged in OK, but with a password that I thought I'd changed not once but twice. On the second occasion (but not the first) I had the change confirmed by a Virgin webteam email. But then that second updated password was rejected at log-in, and only when I tried the original password was I let back in... Very curious. Naturally what I'd like for my piece of mind is to change the password again, have this confirmed by VM email, and get a clean log-in with that new password as proof the system is working as I'd expect...

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It might correct itself in time - try in a few days - if not raise a fault with VM - it sounds like their back end systems are not working correctly to update the passwords.

You can also check if it's updating as far as webmail is concerned - where you login to your email via browser.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos