Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

"Free" Hub Upgrade

Can somebody explain why it is necessary for an Engineer / or Technical Team to be involved when requesting a 'free' upgrade from an older Hub to Hub 3??  Any why does the 'Free' upgrade cost £35???

There is a known issue where Wifi intermittently and frequently drops out on older hubs. On 'My Account' it informs you that you are eligible for a free hub upgrade to hub3 - but then of course wont let you do on line until you speak with a marketing / technical person.

Why cannot a upgraded hub be posted to the account address to enable me to plug it in myself???

I have tried 4 times to get this resolved today and each time been asked for a fee for an engineer to install.

Thanks

JC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: "Free" Hub Upgrade

I went to order one this morning and you have a choice of collect from a local store free of charge, pay £5 to have it delivered or request a technician for £30.

Not sure why you wouldn't have a choice of those three.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have replied twice to you on this with a workaround to try.

However, to try and understand why its happening isn't at all clear. I think the issue is that although you are eligible you are possibly still "in contract" and in that scenario the "upgrades" option on your account may simply not work - at least that's my theory - as I am still in contract and I always get the Ooops message if I click the change/upgrade options. Perhaps it will work again next month when I am out of contract !

This then throws you into the loop of contacting the gormless offshore lot who resolutely grab the wrong end of the stick with both hands and think you are wanting to upgrade and will always say that there is a delivery and connection fee. Whereas the T&C's (as I posted up earlier) do not mention any connection fee at all - hence there isnt one - or they for sure would!

If that theory is correct, VM could fix this easily but they never fix anything like that in response to these sort of complaints - a cynic may say that it helps to bring in extra revenue and so there is no real driver to do it.

Anyways... a VM Mod should pick this up in a day or so and sort the cost free swap for you. Just keep checking back

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Motr1912 & JCWigan

It might be as well to go through the motions of proving that you have a WiFi problem with your current hub then opening a new thread each to see if you can get a Hub 3 through a repair that shouldn't cost.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
If you think my post has helped please give Gary Dexter a Kudos
because he collects them like a young lad collects conkers.
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi JCWigan,

Thanks for posting. As you've got hub 2, I'd like to offer you the free updated router.

I'll PM you now to arrange.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"