Menu
JRH1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

printer no longer finds my network but finds others

My printer has been part of my local network for years but suddenly even though as far as I an aware nothing has changed  about  two weeks ago it connected one day then didn't the next day.  It finds other networks but not mine I have tried resetting it through the setup wizard but just keep getting the message that the network can't be found even when the printer is right next to the router.  The printer will work if connected by cable. The printer is HP envy 5530 e series and is about 4 years old. Help please

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: printer no longer finds my network but finds others

A couple of recent topics below with suggestions on re-connecting HP wireless printers which might help and contain the usual suggestions to try first of all

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Re-connecting-Windows-10-laptop-with-HP-p...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Super-hub-3-compatibility-with-HP-Printer...

Which version of VM hub are you using?

0 Kudos
JRH1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have hub 3.  I am new to this so I hope you get my reply

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@JRH1 wrote:

I have hub 3.  I am new to this so I hope you get my reply

Asked just to confirm you were not using one of the early superhub models which might have brought its own set of problems into the mix.

Have a look through the two links above with the suggestions there and see how you get on.

Before trying to reset the hub, make sure you have the pull-out card or sticker on the bottom which tells you the default hub passwords so you can access the settings after it is reset.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Or maybe a hub firmware update broke it.

Look at getting your own router and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

On a minor technical note, all wireless printers are the work of the devil himself.  I imagine the makers sat around in thousands of hours of meetings scheming how they could make wireless printing unreliable, frustrating, and illogical, tied to obsolete connection standards, and how all setup routines should be so tedious and inconvenient that they could induce PTSD.  The commonality of this across all makes of printer persuades me that there's an industry standard, presumably IEEE 666.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JRH1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have looked at the links you gave and in all honesty most of it I just didn't understand far too technical for me.  After running diagnostics it appears that my laptop recognises the printer and that it is working which it is if I connect with a cable but how can the printer identify other networks but not mine.  Although I don't particularly want to buy a new printer if I did would I end up with the same problem?  Having said that I use HP instant ink so a wifi connection is quite important.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK, if the info in the links is too techie to follow, you might need to enlist the help of a tech-savvy friend, family member or neighbour to assist in the process. As @Andrew-G has pointed out, trying to troubleshoot these wireless printer problems is often hard with the printer in front of you, let alone remotely via forum posts.

Have you located the card/sticker on the bottom of the Hub 3 which shows you the default passwords/setup for the hub?

0 Kudos
JRH1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

When it comes to techie minded people I am friendless sad  I knw but for now I am as good as it gets and I am willing to learn.  I have located the sticker and I know the network and the password and have used them with the setup wizard but it didn't work.  I do appreciate your help thank you

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK, well you need that card if you do a reset on the hub as it is designed go back to those default settings post-reset. If you are already using the unchanged defaults already on your network, that is fine.

A reset of the VM hub may allow the printer to see the VM hub wireless name once again. If you are going to do a hub reset though, keep in mind that the reset process can easily take 5+ minutes to complete and the VM broadband can't be used whilst resetting.

There is an instruction for how to do the reset at message #3 below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Can-t-access-Super-Hub-3-settings/m-p/42578...

Once you have completed the reset, see if the printer can see the wireless network name being broadcast by the hub.

0 Kudos