cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor download speeds on hub 5

Cull85
Tuning in

Hi

Today I was looking forward to having my M350 fibre service setup and running. Unfortunately so far its been nothing but a headache. When I run a speedtest using sam knows I am seeing results as shown below. This is similar on both wifi and wired. The below test was taken on wired connection.

I tested it a few hours ago and got about 330Mbps - 10 mins later back down to 100Mbps. I downloaded a game on my xbox and speeds were around 35Mbps - very poor. 

When the engineer installed the service he did say something does not look right with the green LED on the ONU (attached to the inside of the house). He said the LED kept flickering and it should be solid Green.

I phoned up CS around 6PM and they told me that the HUB5 is still configuring (which i think is a complete fob off) and to check in a few hours. Unfortunately issues still persists. 

As a new customer I am quite disappointed, day 1 and I am already having bad vibes and not great help from CS.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Cull85_0-1674081020814.png

17 REPLIES 17

Portery
Fibre optic

You see the first one it says you are getting 384 to your router that means you are getting the speed and a bit more that is advertised. It can take a few days for the hubs wifi to learn the environment. Also what you also have to take in to account how many devices are connected and what is the device is capable.  If the router speed was showing less than 181 then you would have a reason for concern because that would be below the speed guarantee set out by ofcom. 

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Lets leave wifi out the equation for now. I am only getting 100Mbps and less when hard wired to the modem too, this should not have to be learned over time such as wifi. If the speed to the hub is 384Mbps as soon as I plug in to the ethernet port my device should see roughly the 350Mbps. Sometimes I am only getting 60Mbps hard wired, that cannot be right!

Going back to wifi. When my device is connected to the hub and I look at the wifi settings on my phone it says the connection is only 72Mbps. I then run the speed test app and my download speed is around 30Mbps most of the time. If I disable wifi on my handset and re-enable the device then it shows a connection of 484Mbps, sometimes it shows 1072Mbps, nothing seems consistent.

The VM engineer said your wireless devices should show a connection of 1Gb when connected to the hub over wifi because that's what the service can deliver. This is not happening for me most of the time as described above my connection is only 72Mbps.

I question is the hub 5 faulty?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
What model hardware do you have by hard wired?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

It is an intel i5 Dell Latitude 5510 laptop with Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz adaptor.
The NIC is an Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (10) I219-V

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
boot it in safe mode with networking and do a speed test
---------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. Are you suggesting that the laptop could be the issue here?

The Samknow Realspeed test clearly shows the M350 service to the Hub is present,
now comes the tough question of why can the computer not make better use of it.

Many many posters have been shocked that a Windows computer booted in Safe Mode + Networking will suddenly post a much faster speed test,
leading to the realisation that the security packages & all the software with many background tasks on the computer are bogging it down.

A mobile at 72Mbps would suggest a 2.4Ghz  20 Mhz  802.11n connection - best close range speed over that could be in the 50Mb/s region.
Have the WiFi SSIDs been split for 2.4 & 5 Ghz but the mobile only has the connection details of the 2.4Ghz SSID ?

My wifi SSID settings are default from new. Same name for both 2.4 and 5Ghz - if that answers your question?

If I disable my wifi adaptor on my mobile and re-enable it, it then connects using 5Ghz with a connection of around 484Mbps. As suggested above I have even seen my mobile connect at 1072Mbps.
I have set the hub 5 to use the 'smart WiFi' - channel optimization. It was off by default I enabled it to see if it improved things but doesn't seem that way.

I don't think my laptop which is hard wired has anything enabled that could be causing it to only be getting 100Mbps. I have had this laptop on other networks getting speeds higher than 100Mbps, so I know the laptop is capable.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Forget the wifi at the moment.  Get a known good Cat 6 cable and test the laptop speed wired directly to the Hub.  Also the tip on running "Safe Mode with Networking" is a good test.

Check each port of the Hub 5 with the cabled connection.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks