Menu
MaccaLeeds
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

poor WiFi at home

Hi I have recently joined Virgin and have M100 broadband package. I am having trouble with WiFi in certain areas of the house. We have 3 floors and the Hub 3 is situated downstairs in the front room as that is where the incoming socket is located. My son is having issues playing on line on his PS4 up stairs in the loft conversion. (we do have like 5 steel beams in the house from the loft and extension)

On an average day we can have the following online situation in the house:-

Downstairs my youngest will be on his XBox playing online or watching You Tube on tablet or TV

1st Floor my daughter watching either You Tube or NetFlix and playing online on laptop (so using 2 WiFi connected devices at once. Also Me and my wife watching internet TV .

Loft conversion, my son playing PS4 online and sometimes using Spotify.

So as an average we could have up to 6 devices connected to WiFi at once, plus 4 mobile Phones connected to the WiFi in the house.

I have been looking at getting a WiFi whole home WiFi mesh system to try improve the signal upstairs. I have been looking at in particular the Tenda Nova MW3 kit, which has 3 "dots". i want one connected to the Hub 3, one on the first floor and one in the loft. I am not sure though i this will work as our loft is fed from a different fuse board to the rest of the house (keeping reading conflicting information regards to this). 

My questions basically are:-

1) would the Mesh system work?

2) Would I be better moving the router to the 1st floor, and would I be charged as the cables would new renewing so I had a new entry point?

3) Is M100 package enough?

sorry for the long rant lol. Thanks

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: poor WiFi at home

1) would the Mesh system work?

Yes, but the Tenda MW3 (and the TP-Link Deco E4) are both constrained by non-gigabit ports.  That means the mesh can never provide an external interent speed faster than 100 Mbps (and slightly less in a real world setting).  As future proofing buy something with gigabit Ethernet ports.  I use the TP-Link Deco M4, and have been very impressed with it.

2) Would I be better moving the router to the 1st floor, and would I be charged as the cables would new renewing so I had a new entry point?

Yes, that's a £99 "non-fault call out".  Money you'll never see again, don't do it.  Better to use a mesh, and if still needed run your own etherent cables from primary to secondary units, but you probably won't need to do that.

3) Is M100 package enough?

From what you describe it should be.  Are you seeing any problems other than the remoter reaches of wifi?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks