Menu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

not fit for purpose - drops off on multiple devices

Only creating this to track how bad the broadband service is and the poor customer service from virgin media.

and before service ask me to restart the hub.... yes I've already done that and am fed up doing it. And no, I'm not going to sit in a utility cupboard to work so that I can be plugged into the hub.

15/02: speed test shows less than 50mbps several times. Internet disconnected several times during the day, in particular during sales call. 

16/02 0746: internet disconnected from surface pro

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: not fit for purpose - drops off on multiple devices

2021-02-16_07-49-32.pngvirginmedia 2.pngvirginmedia.png

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

is that using a wireless or wired connection?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

wireless. VM have already said I'll get better connection by being plugged in - the hub is in a utility cupboard so the thought of working from a utility cupboard for the foreseeable future just to get the wifi I paid for is not too appealing. It's not just the speed that's the issue - it keeps disconnecting from several devices intermittently. I've been disconnected once this morning already on a surface pro. Disconnected twice yesterday (during a sales call no less!). 

Have never had this issue with hyperoptic or sky so am unwilling to accept their explanation of "that's just how wifi works". 

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

you do not pay for wifi. VM do not garantee wifi.
The wifi in the hub is poor. if you are getting the speeds and connection wired then your best option is to get your own better router or mesh system

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

We're focusing on wifi as that is the problem you seem to be having, bear in mind that there are other potential causes like hub power levels, or connection noise.  But sticking with the wifi, when you say "utility cupboard", do you mean something like a wooden cabinet, or something more substantial, that you can walk into that has solid walls?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

walk into - typical UK style utility cupboard... the same utility cupboard where the virginmedia engineer installed the device. big enough to stand in, will be quite uncomfortable to work there just to plug into the device to avoid getting disconnected and the better speeds. 

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Super solver
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Always, Always and Always do a SPEEDTEST with a WIRED Device.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

updating to keep track of when I get disconnected as requested.

disconnectedat 911am; wireless speed (yes yes I know, wireless speeds don't count...) when connected again are showing 15.49mbps

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

virginmedia 0914.PNG

0 Kudos