Menu
mparaoan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

my virgin media app and wi-fi booster

I have been with Virgin since January 2021 and the Wi-Fi is still not sorted. I have the 1G with the latest Hub yet the coverage in the house is worse that my old TalkTalk one. The Virgin engineer could not help my find and download the app and the Wi-fi booster was not available to order when I took the contract. I cannot order a booster, is seem like this is made difficult on purpose so the customers give up or not be able to order. I just simply need help to get decent broadband in the house at least at the level I had with the much cheaper previous provider as I am stuck in the contract for one year. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: my virgin media app and wi-fi booster

Buy your own better router or mesh system and run the hub in modem mode.

Job done. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
mparaoan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the your advice. When I pay  £76 monthly I expected Virgin Media to provide and install a fully functional high quality high speed service. I am not expert on wi-fi network and expected the company to do it without me having to pay extra to get it working when another provider has done so. I hope they will get back to me, so far the service received is well below TalkTalk. 

0 Kudos
AdeAlchemist
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I understand your frustration and can sympathise with your predicament with paying a lot of money and it not working as intended.

Right lets try and sort you out it could take a bit of work but I am currently doing all of this for my Brother-In-Law, my neighbours and my elderly dad so getting a dab hand so far.

Is it just the wi-fi struggling, if you use a CAT6 ethernet cable to your PC,Laptop are you getting somewhere near the 900megabits you should be seeing (assuming your PC is capable of that?) Also what are you trying to connect as there may be workarounds with something like homeplugs.

As pointed out the VM kit as well as every other ISP pay something like £30 for their kit where a top end gigabit router can cost over £400 and mesh systems start at £70, also routers have to comply with radiation statutes and so can only pump out so many watts.

Try changing the channel delection to "Auto", keep the VM router away from walls by at least a couple of inches as walls,as hot water pipes and systems, bathroom tiles etc can all absorb or reflect radio waves and try and keep it in the open.

For my bungalow due to the dense brick and a hot water tank slap bang in the center of the house I got a WI-Fi 6 router and mesh system for the sum of £600 but now I get full speed wi-fi everywhere in my house including behind the hot water tank and in the garden.

Although at the end of the day it is up to you but I have seen this week on the VM website the new mesh system is now avaliable to rent and althoough I bought a commercial one I cannot fault a decent mesh system, perhaps people who have the VM one can say how good that one is.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@mparaoan wrote:

Many thanks for the your advice. When I pay  £76 monthly I expected Virgin Media to provide and install a fully functional high quality high speed service. I am not expert on wi-fi network and expected the company to do it without me having to pay extra to get it working when another provider has done so. I hope they will get back to me, so far the service received is well below TalkTalk. 

If wired speeds and connectivity are fine then they’re meeting their contractual obligations.

Wireless speeds and connectivity aren’t guaranteed with any ISP.

Virgin sell a “high quality high speed” cable service not a wireless one. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
AdeAlchemist
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I agree I really dislike the way that some ISP's (BT and Sky come to mind) are making a link in the adverts between broadband equals wi-fi which are not the same.

BT are doing it to sell their mesh system at £10 a month which I think is overpriced at least the VM system is only £5 a month and BT will only guarentee only 10meg as well which as somebody who has had VDSL down as low as 20 those speeds simply cannot cope with a modern household demands.

Anyways back to the OP forgot to ask, where is your VM router in respect to the rest of your house, how many devices are you trying to hook up (as a lot of ISP routers can struggle with too many connections) and are you in a standard house, bungalow etc.

Sorry trying to build a picture of your home network without being there.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Asking where the router is is irrelevant.

Wherever you move it to the Wifi output will still be cr@p.

0 Kudos
AdeAlchemist
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not true as it may be possible to run cat6 to where the OP wanted, it could be he's in a 3 story stone house the output of the routers aren't great but an awful lot of problems can be due to envirmoental problems, I saw someone with metal studded plasterboard refelct wireless.

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @mparaoan,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with WiFi.

We do have some tips to help improve the wireless network signal and range.

What speeds are you currently getting on a wired connection?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos