Menu
leilash2000
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

modem mode + router low average speed

Hi,

I recently have changed my hub3 to modem mode and added a router. But I do not get the average speed of 200+Mbps that I had before. The router I am using is TP-Link TL-R605 Safe Stream Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Router. Here are tests I have done:

Test 1) I used Hub3 in modem mode (I reset it and put it in modem mode), and connected to laptop directly. Speed was over 200. I tried different cables and with all of them the speed was over 200Mbps.

Test 2) I reset Hub 3 again without connecting it to the laptop, put it in modem mode. Turned it off. Reset the TP-Link router and turned it on and connected it to the laptop. Waited for few minutes. I checked its configuration and the WAN configuration was Dynamic IP. I connected it to the Hub3, and turned on the hub and waited for few minutes. I tried the speed with same cables I was using in the previous test and it was 80Mbps.

Is it possible to get 200+ speed with hub in modem mode and a router? If yes, then do you know what is wrong with my configuration that I only get 80Mbps?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: modem mode + router low average speed

A Hub 3 in modem mode is as fast as in router mode (I'm running mine in modem mode with a TP-Link mesh and seeing 218-221 Mbps).

I'm not familiar with your router, but words like "safestream" and  "Centralized Cloud Management, and Intelligent Monitoring" imply to me that it is routing all your traffic for inspection, in which case it'll always be waiting on a response from whatever filtering/monitoring server it uses?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The TP-Link TL-R605 likely does not do hardware NAT so it is limiting your speed for a software router to do TCP 1Gb with QoS the SPI firewall throughput (Mbps) would need to by 2600Mbps

Cheap home routers can get away with going fast due to hardware NAT but with limited options.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
leilash2000
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies. As @g0akc kindly replied to another post of mine a few weeks ago, this router seams to have lots of features. So I wonder whether I can configure it to give me a better speed. Anybody has any suggestion?

Otherwise, I have to return it and get another one.

0 Kudos
leilash2000
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ok I solved the problem. I went to the configuration of the TP-Link router and noticed that port 1 (WAN connected to the router) status shows 100M speed, and port 2 connected to the laptop shows 1000M speed. For port 1 I was using the original cable of virgin, that is CAT6 and for port 2 I was using mine which is CAT5e. I thought cat6 is better and that is why I used it for the connection from modem to router. But after switching the cables and using cat5e for modem to router, I am back to 200Mbps and the router configuration now shows both ports status as 1000M. 

I have no idea why but it works. Either there is something about cat6 cable that I don't know, or the cable of virgin media was wrongly marked as cat6.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Or just a faulty cable 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos