Menu
thills
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

modem mode - ethernet connections?

Looking to put my Hub3 into modem mode and use a high end netgear type router to boost signal speed in my house. I live a 2 up 2 down terrace so walls aren't particularly thick, but in the office which is opposite and above the router, I experience frequent disconnects and wifi signal dropping to one or two bars on my laptop.

I currently have my PS4 ethernet connected into the virgin hub. I have read that the ethernet ports become disabled after switching the hub to modem mode.

Question is what becomes of the ethernet connections? Do I plug them into the new wifi router's ethernet ports?

Thanks

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: modem mode - ethernet connections?

@thills wrote:

Looking to put my Hub3 into modem mode and use a high end netgear type router to boost signal speed in my house. I live a 2 up 2 down terrace so walls aren't particularly thick, but in the office which is opposite and above the router, I experience frequent disconnects and wifi signal dropping to one or two bars on my laptop.

I currently have my PS4 ethernet connected into the virgin hub. I have read that the ethernet ports become disabled after switching the hub to modem mode.

Question is what becomes of the ethernet connections? Do I plug them into the new wifi router's ethernet ports?

Thanks

Once you put the Virgin Hub into modem mode just one of the Ethernet ports will work - to connect your third party router to.  Any Ethernet cables that go to devices then need to go to Ethernet ports on the third party router - so yes, the ethernet connections go to your new Wi-Fi router.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
thills
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Awesome, thank you!

Next part of my question, what would be a recommended router? I've checked out the Netgear nighthawks and they look pretty good

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@thills wrote:

Awesome, thank you!

Next part of my question, what would be a recommended router? I've checked out the Netgear nighthawks and they look pretty good

Anything modern from Netgear, TP Link or Asus etc.   Others no doubt have their own favourites - I've seen other recommendations in other threads on here if you have a search through.  Decide what features matter to you and what you want to pay.  Many are marketed for 'gaming' presumably offering features important for such.  See if there are any decent test reports and reviews available.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
MrJB73
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks g0akc - Port 1 specifically?
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@MrJB73 wrote:
Thanks g0akc - Port 1 specifically?

Historically the only port active in Modem mode was the one nearest to the co-ax cable, i.e. the bottom one.  However recently it appears that any of the ports can be used. 

0 Kudos