Menu
GeparD
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

killer 1435 NIC and Router restarts

Hi,

I don't know what VM did, but my router keeps restarting itself after I turn on my Del laptop.

I have done some research and it seems that is your Router has a firmware version that causing this behaviour while Killer NIC 1435 tries to connect.

Also, I found some workaround to change the aggressiveness of the card and prefered network but this does not help.

There is nothing in the router's logs.

It's version:

Standard specification compliant: DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version: 10
Software version: 9.1.1912.304

This behaviour is not acceptable, especially when working from home and being disconnected in the middle of a meeting.

Can anyone help me with this?
And just before anyone suggests to replace NIC, unfortunately, it is soldered to the mainboard.

Do VM have a firmware version so they or I can upload to the router to prevent this?

Thanks,
Marcin

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: killer 1435 NIC and Router restarts

pretty sure that this is an issue with the killer NIC rather than VMs Hub.. I recall reading lots of news about the Killer Wifi cards causing problems on a multitude of routers/access points from various manufacturers so it's not entirely fair to level the blame at VM for this.

If the card is soldered onto the motherboard (which is unusual for a wireless card, they're usually mini-pcie things that are easily swapped out) then you could use a USB alternative and use that to connect to the hub. 

0 Kudos
GeparD
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

But this is a recent behaviour. It means a FW update caused this.
I don't have any problem with this laptop anywhere but at home with with VM so don't tell me I should changed NIC.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The solution is to use a different NIC.

Killer WiFi cards are notorious for "killing" routers, and not just VM ones.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
GeparD
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Strangely I never ever had that problem before. I work remotely from different places and the only issue I experience is at home when connecting to Virgin Media Router and only recently.
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@GeparD wrote:
Strangely I never ever had that problem before. I work remotely from different places and the only issue I experience is at home when connecting to Virgin Media Router and only recently.

when was the driver last updated (and does that coincide with when the issues started?), and have you tried rolling back to the previous version?

0 Kudos
GeparD
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I work in IT industry. I have reverted back the drivers I have installed the new ones. The behaviour is the same and not consistent.
Sometimes I can restart the laptop several times and nothing is changed, and sometimes I restart once and the router is rebooting.
Just updated with the newest package from Killerz website and I thought it is solved. Reboot... no problem. Another one, and no problem. Left laptop alone. Turned on. And wen to my desktop for scheduled meeting and in the middle of it, bam! No internet. Just like that.

Please do not tell me this is problem with laptop as I work in my office and on clients' sites and never ever had that issue. Believe me I will already have a new laptop if this will happened on any our client site.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So “working in IT”, what other diagnostics have you tried?

Have you amended any of the Wifi card settings?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@GeparD wrote:
I work in IT industry. I have reverted back the drivers I have installed the new ones. The behaviour is the same and not consistent.
Sometimes I can restart the laptop several times and nothing is changed, and sometimes I restart once and the router is rebooting.
Just updated with the newest package from Killerz website and I thought it is solved. Reboot... no problem. Another one, and no problem. Left laptop alone. Turned on. And wen to my desktop for scheduled meeting and in the middle of it, bam! No internet. Just like that.

Please do not tell me this is problem with laptop as I work in my office and on clients' sites and never ever had that issue. Believe me I will already have a new laptop if this will happened on any our client site.

Hub firmware updates are delivered over the wire, VM won't send you one to use - they will automatically deploy it to the hub inline with whatever their rollout schedule is - you may be able to see in your hubs network log if there has been one recently (depending on how busy your log is...)

Still think it's more likely to be the card than the hub given the history of the Killer issues but as an IT pro yourself, I'm sure you'll be able to narrow it down. 

Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I too have worked in the IT industry for years and time after time I have seen this type of problem. It’s usually due to manufacturer 1 finding that their equipment works fine with manufacturer 2, until manufacturer 2 makes their equipment fully compliant with a given standard. I have even seen it with different divisions of the same company!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos