cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent internet connection loss

slimby
Tuning in

I'm into my 7th day of service and have had issues practically from day 1. 
A wired ethernet connection which I have had to add as a fixed ip address as it kept getting locked with "invalid ip". I have resolved this adding as a fixed ip.

previouslt on a 32mb BT connection which although not fast was consistent with hardly ever any internet dropouts to a 250Mb virgin connection with dropouts is really frustrating that I'm considering going back.

The wife/kids could be watching something on stream and it would lose connection for a couple of minutes and be back on.  I have reset the hub to factory setttings last night and will see how this goes though I don't hold out much hope.  I called Virgin this am and after a 20 minute wait, I was a few minutes into a call where Priyanka was going to check a few things and the phone call dropped and did she call me back? No of course she didn't and I don't know if this is even being looked at now.  I didn't have another half hour spare to queue up again on a call.

With this intermittent issue, it needs someone at Virgin to monitor this and come up with a solution.  I really am considering cancelling a 250Mb connection within my 14 days for a 32Mb connection.

The hub3 wifi range is really poor.  We are in a bungalow and my daughter gets a 4mb speed due to her wifi connection 15 feet away - can anything be done about this without being stupid and having to go mesh/extender considering the range.

Please advise (apart from run for the hills).

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Use the test below to see if this is a speed to the Hub issue, or a Hub to device / Wi-Fi issue.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.
The speed to the Hub should reflect your subscription rate.

We have a Hub 3 in Router mode, we do not have any issues with DHCP IP address allocation.
When the piece of kit reported an invalid IP, what IP address was it using ?

slimby
Tuning in

Thanks for the prompt response.  Will do this to test the wifi.

My primary concern is the internet connection dropouts as I've mentioned above, any thoughts on that?

Client62
Alessandro Volta

"loose connection for a couple of minutes" - during time what lights does the Hub 3 have lit  ?

slimby
Tuning in

I don't know sorry, I get this reported to me by wife/kids only when I'm around so haven't had a chance to investigate whilst it's happening.

slimby
Tuning in

I have a tplink Archer V2800 which is powered and ready to go but is not connected up and I could use hub3 in router mode as I was with my BT but with it being the 1st couple of weeks of service I wanted to see Virgin working as it should so support couldn't point to 3rd party reasons for the virgin service not performing.   I have considered moving to this setup and may do so in a couple of days if I can't get the issues resolved though it will improve wifi, I'm not sure it will do anything for connection loss or for troubleshooting it.  Unless anyone can tell me any different which would put the hub 3 at fault than the broadband connection into the house.

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Assuming the Hub 3 has a good and stable connection to the Virgin Media service,  switching to modem mode and to your own Router is a good thing to do.

If the Hub does not have an in spec & stable service from the coax and that can be seen in the Upstream / Downstream tabs that needs to be resolved first. In Router mode VM have tools available to remotely see the status of the Hub.  With the Hub in modem mode, VM's remote access to the Hub line stats are lost.

slimby
Tuning in

Yes thank you, I thought so which is why I want the connection drop issue resolved before I moved hub to modem mode.

How does one get an issue reported to Virgin?  I don't have the time to spend on a long phone call today.  Is that still the best practical way of getting this investigated properly? 

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Log what issue with VM ???

You have yet to diagnose if this a Service to the Hub issue or is this an in the home Wi-Fi issue.
This is the reason for checking the Hub 3's lights during each outage. 

A slew of lights and colour changes on the Hub would point to a Service to the Hub issue, check for a local fault via 0800 561 0061 and review the Upstream / Downstream Hub stats for errors & signals that are out of range. 

But a serene Hub with a steady White bar would suggest an in home Wi-Fi issue which is best fixed by adding your new Router.

slimby
Tuning in

I'm not overly concerned with the wifi at this point as the main reason for reporting a fault to Virgin was the internet dropouts and why I may still cancel the contract if not resolved before my 14 days is up.  I was asking how to even report a fault and whether the phone number was the best way. 

Will try and diagnore if this is a service issue but I would have thought VM could do that remotely.