Menu
Stento77
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

intermittent broad band

for the 3rd week running i have intermittent internet. i have spent 3 weeks trying trying to get this sorted with tech via the texting service which has just stopped. i spoke to tech on that service who swapped all my settings around. and now it seems worse than ever. i have also noticed that network keeps changing. sometimes it has 5g on the end sometimes it has 2g on the end and at the minute it just says 1??? i have wasted 3 weeks of my life to get this sorted via phone call, twitter, txt service and nothing ever gets done.  moving to virgin has been the worst decision ever made. ever since we moved nothing has ever worked properly. every month there is always a problem. you only have to look on these forums and twitter to see this broadband is not fit for purpose

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: intermittent broad band

@Stento77 wrote:

sometimes  it has 5g on the end sometimes it has 2g on the end and at the minute it just says 1??? 

Sounds like your devices are switching between the 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi bands which is normal.  You can manage that if you wish.

Reverting to ‘1’ seems to be a bug - log into the hub and change it or do a reboot/factory reset 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Stento77
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. 

ive done nothing but reboot. ive set to factory settings as well. ive also been on with tech via their txt service who have changed. But now it seems they dont reply to the msging service.

ive had nothing but trouble with the broadband since it was installed. its never stable. weve also got boosters that dont seem to make much of a difference.

when doing the wifi speed check one day ill have 500mb the next day 15 to 40mb where it has disconnected everything.

0 Kudos
Stento77
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Stento77_0-1611669710104.png

im paying for the 600mb package and this is what getting. Yet VM tell me there is nothing wrong in my area. and yet i have had this problem for 3 weeks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Often fluctuations are cause by a bad physical connection So first off can you do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Re speeds....

I assume your test is on a wifi device - so its not really definitive of an issue.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a known good and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Test at speedtest.net (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

If they are then fine then you just have a wifi issue that we can try abd sort for you.

VM (& all other BB providers) provide a service that is guaranteed TO the Hub and what comes out from it on an ethernet cabled device. They all expressly exclude guaranteeing wifi connections - as it is so influenced by the external environment. Even BT with its glossy ad's saying wifi is “guaranteed”, also charge £10/month for that and say that if it isn’t sorted they will just give you £100 back.

VM try and help with swapping the Hub (just in case!) and providing pods etc., but the reality is, that if the Hub wifi doesnt work well for you then you are far better sourcing your own wireless equipment.

You could try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands and switching off "channel optimisation" - that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for better kit.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Stento77

I have this now from Social ^GT

I can see that you have tried everything possible 

What I do need to do is pass security with you by Private Message 

And then book an engineer to come out 

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for passing security Stento77

Can you please let me know how the engineers visit goes 

Gareth_L