Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

in-Home Internet Package Wityout any of the Copper cables use between a green box & Home

I am with Sky Fibre (standard before) and all points to the fact that the copper cables to my house are the issue as it keeps disconnecting (especially after rain) and Sky nor Open Reach seem to be wanting to push new copper cable through. The new fibre reconnection work to premises could be up to 5 years away, so I have totally unreliable internet access (8th engineer coming tomorrow, problem since June). I am trying to find a package which would not use any of those old, corroded cables for the last leg of the journey and someone mentioned that Virgin are using their own cable connection for this. Can anyone provide more detail / share experience on this as getting hold of someone at Virgin to discuss this, is almost impossible curing Corona time with the chat line being literally unworkable (no response, sometimes only 15 mins later each response, then refreshing). I do not have a mobile phone and ideally would like a home phone connection that also works when the internet doesn't (which seems a problem with Fibre as VoiP only). Happy with a stable standard broadband package as once connected speeds have never been the issue. Staying connected stabily is the issue (problem persists with Fibre I switched to as still using the final leg via the copper cable) (at least all signs are pointing that way as they've recrimped connections up the pole, put new cables into the green box for standard broadband, been up the house wall and recrimped/cleaned the blackened cable ends in the box up there and been down the manhole once and apparently cleaned away a lot of yellow gunge and also refit some connection there). Sometimes I'm connected for many days, but then (especially with Fibre now) I can also be disconnected for over 12 hours as it just does not manage to reconnect at all on its own. Which is why I'm desperate for any help on finding an alternative solution which does not involve any copper cable travels between the green box and my socket in the flat. All my neighbours are fine with different providers, but I understand flats tend to have their own specific cable feeding their sockets (3 other inhabitants), so I seem to be the odd one out. Thank you for providing any helpful information.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: in-Home Internet Package Wityout any of the Copper cables use between a green box & Home

Hi there.

Let me assist you with this.

I'll pop you a private message so I can take your address to look into this further for you.

Thanks.

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: in-Home Internet Package Wityout any of the Copper cables use between a green box & Home

We can help there as our cabling is totally separate but flats are always a little different. I’m sure Christy will do what he can for you.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Put your postcode into the postcode checker online and see if virgin can provide to your address.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jon, here are my questions:

I am of course a little hesitant to switch before I have all the details and understand the implications fully, so I'd like to understand what is involved exactly:

- what package would I need to take out, so as to have the following (stable broadband with your own cables between green box and premises, the ability to receive home phone calls when the internet is down, a free Virgin contact number (while internet not working) to log problems, should connection issues arise. I do not currently have a mobile, I use a Swiss business mobile, but that only works, if my Wifi works too. As I do not control that SIM/Account, I cannot really have a mobile/broadband package. Affordability is a consideration as well, so around GBP 30 pm (assuming you have a similar approach to Sky with special offers on 18 month deals, etc).

- how exactly do you lay that cable, I assume it runs underground from the green box to my premises and how does it connect to my flat ? It needs to be entirely managed by Virgin from start to my flat socket to be a consideration. My area is not even on the list of planned fibre rollout to premises (E17 9RG), so it needs to be working at least until then. 

- Depending on price, I am happy to consider buying a "cheap" mobile (as I do not actually make many calls, but probably would go with Android as Apple hardware, especially mobiles, seem to break so easily and if my internet is dependent on that, I will just have similar issues as soon as the mobile has a problem, so preference is home phone via a Virgin cable. In the end it all comes down to affordability, but more so value for money.

- what happens, if the internet is disconnected once installed. Who do I contact, if i cannot access the online account (Sky keeps referring you to the website for help and checks, even when you try and call someone nowadays), but of course that won't work, if the internet is down. So with fibre, I now am being charged exorbitant call charges, also driven by long queue waits. Only on the standard broadband, where the phone still works, can I continue to contact Sky for free to reports problems. How does this work with Virgin (if you are on PAYG phone contracts).

- I watch online video, I use emails extensively, do online surveys, but I do not play any games or such like. Speed was always very good on the Sky standard package when connected. Is the Virgin standard package equivalent in power/upload/download speeds as Sky ?

- If that falls within your remit, what package should I be looking at to obtain reliable and continuous broadband and home access ? 

- I used to be a Virgin Media customer, probably about 8-10 years ago. I believe you drilled a hole into my living room wall and there is a socket still there, however, my concern would be that whatever line was laid at the time, should be replaced as 10 years will have had its own negative impact on the potentially quality of that connection. Would you drill a new hole, or just replace the current connections/cable/socket with the latest version you use to connect people ?

- and lastly, what are the timelines at the moment from signing up for a package and the actual installation of the cable itself and activation of the internet, obviously I need to ensure the transfer from Sky to Virgin would work with a relatively short time of having no internet at all.

Thanks for answering all or some of the questions raised. Perhaps you can point me to the right area (ideally with a free Virgin customer services number) to discuss any areas you do not have the answer to. Thank you very much for your help on this. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

yes it does. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Sanglo wrote:

yes it does. 

Then you’re fine then.

Note that any link sent to you to sign up by an engineer on here will likely be a referral link, and if it is then they need to disclose that to you.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

So the package that you need is completely dependant on what you're using the broadband for, how many devices/people will be using it and how much downloading/uploading may be done at one time.

The landline with us would be a VOIP (Voice over IP) so it would plug directly into the back of the modem with an RJ45 adapter for your handset.

All bundle prices vary depending on what download speed you would be needing and are shown online.

For me to check this properly for you I need to take your address so I can input it into our system to answer the other questions regarding serviceability and how old the existing cabling may be or when the last services were active at the property.

If you live in a flat then there are different things we need to take into consideration for example way leave (permission from either landlords, freeholders or management companies).

I have dropped you a private message to request this. if you would like me to look further into this and assist you then I am happy to do so.

Many thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Christy,

Is this really private - I tried to respond to the "private email" you sent, but got an automated response. So used the link in your "private" email and am responding here, but a little suspicious that my address is now published on the open forum so not happy to share my address here, I'm afraid. This page looks no different than any of the other messages I added, nothing shows that this might be private at all. 

I am the only user, 3 devices connected (business mobile), laptop and printer, but only when I print which is once a week. Not sure about speeds, but the Sky standard package was 6-15MB / Unlimited data (up/down not sure) and once connected, speed was never a problem. I watched Netflix or online platford dramas for hours without any buffering issues at all, when connected. Am now on Fibre which is faster (159MB or such like), but only am on Fibre as I thought it would go all the way to the premises, which it doesn't. I actually am less keen on the Fibre connection as I lost access to my home phone, so not a fan of Voip phone only, as it doesn't work, when the internet doesn't work. So really, if I were to switch, I'm probably keener to switch to standard broadband with home phone, assuming all cables that connect form the exchange right up to the socket in my flat are Virgin laid cables only and do not use ANY distance via the current copper cables connecting to my house essentially.

I would only consider Fibre / VoiP Phone, if Virgin offers a free phone number from a UK mobile phone to actually enable me to log a call when both the phone and internet I would be paying for fail. That's the biggest gripe I have with having switched to Fibre with Sky, as I now have to pay huge amounts just to actually log the fault. With Sky, I believe, it is free to call from UK landlines and mobile phones, but only if you have a non-Paye-As-You-Go arrangement which I currently have. Obviously if you use only Virgin cables, then the likelihood that I am without a phone is higher already as hopefully your own cables would be more reliable overall. 

At least on the old standard broadband I had the same problems, but I didn't lose my access to the phone resulting in having had to incur 20 quid just in the last 2 weeks (have only switched 6h November) to get through to Sky and book another engineer. And they did actually call me back when I did connect, so just imagine the cost, if they hadn't - That's nearly the monthly amount I pay for full functioning fibre and PAYG phone (they failed to mention, that this was Voip phone only - not that I would have understood the implications at the time as not technically savvy).

When I was a Virgin Customer, you did offer standard broadband and landline phone, plus you did install a separate socket on the inside of my wall facing the street. Are you saying, that Virgin no longer offer landline packages ? As you already drilled a hole into the wall facing the street to install your socket at the time (there is a second socket inside the flat, not sure if is yours too, I think so), I would assume you just remove the old stuff and replace it with the new cable. I'm sure, if I know what permission exactly you would need from the management company, I can obtain that. 

Sandra Glover

0 Kudos