cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPad won't connect to Hub 3 if private MAC address is enabled

SteveS52
On our wavelength

If I set my iPad to NOT use "Private Address" it connects with no problems beyond a Privacy Warning. IP address given is 192.168.0.x.

If I turn Private Address on (i.e. it uses randomised MAC address for each WiFi network), then both the iPad and Hub say that the iPad is connected to the Hub, but the iPad displays an IP address not in the range of my router and and won't connect to the internet. IP address displayed on the iPad is 192.168.1.x, but 192.168.0.x on the Hub.

The iPad is set to use Automatic IP (i.e. DHCP).

The router has no MAC filtering enabled.

Can anyone offer any clues as to what the problem is?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have the guest network enabled on the Hub?  It may be connecting to that perhaps.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

awmaines
Dialled in

I have had no problems connecting and iPad and an iPhone to a hub 3, using “private address”.

SteveS52
On our wavelength

An interesting suggestion! No, I don't have the Guest network turned on. But, out of curiosity, I turned it on and connected to it. It provides a 192.168.1.x address, and does provide internet access (without private MAC).

SteveS52
On our wavelength

@awmaines - thanks for that. I'm beginning to suspect my router!

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @SteveS52,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry that you are having issues with your connection to you iPad.

Have you checked to see if you iPad is up to date on upgrades?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The private MAC addresses given out by Apple IOS devices are really only necessary when you are away from home in say a hotel or cafe. When at home there is not much point. Turning them off for a home connection will still leave them enabled for other locations as they work the the SSID name.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

SteveS52
On our wavelength

Yep, iPad is fine. In the end I contacted Virgin Media tech support on Chat. That is one of the most painful experiences of my life, but 3 hours later I gave up asking for a coherent intelligent discussion and accepted that the menu monkey at the end of the line had sent "certain signals" to my router. He was unable to say what signals had been sent, what they would do, when they would arrive, or how I would know they had arrived, let alone if they would fix the problem. By the following morning nothing had improved so I again hard reset the router. This time the iPad would connect using private addressing.

So, problem resolved. Unless the problem you are concerned about is the appallingly low standard of Virgin Media tech support.