Menu
chw
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hub is dying

my hub3 is progressively dying, after many years of service (the wired ethernet ports are either dead or intermittent).

can someone advise what's the preferred way of requesting a replacement (as I can't find it on the main web site or get through on the chat service)

thx

0 Kudos
chaoshusky
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: hub is dying

You could try the online complaint forms which they have to check, but their response time isn't the best, you'll be waiting a couple of weeks.

The ports are intermittent you say? Mine is currently 5 years old and hasn't gone wrong yet! Have you checked the ports for any dirt or debris? This will cause bad contact with the terminals of the plug and socket. I know that's an obvious thing but i have to suggest it!

Are you getting a solid white LED at the base of the unit and is WiFi still working? It's also possible your ethernet cable(s) are faulty so are there any others you could try? Although if the built in Gigabit switch is genuinely failing they are of course at liberty to replace the defective Hub!

Kind regards,

Lee

0 Kudos
md009a3226
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i sympathise with the inability to contact virgin... 

My approach is to go onto the chatbot, then type 'human', human', 'human' to every response.. after a while it does actually give up and pass you on to a 'human'... takes a while right enough and its very much like the scene in zootropolis Driver Licensing Agency ... do something more useful while you are waiting - hope that helps you get someone... 

0 Kudos
chw
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

thanks for the suggestion.   I'll give it a go.

Regarding the cables/lights etc

> The ports are intermittent you say? Mine is currently 5 years old and hasn't gone wrong yet! Have you checked the ports for any dirt or debris? This will cause bad contact with the terminals of the plug and socket. I know that's an obvious thing but i have to suggest it!

> Are you getting a solid white LED at the base of the unit and is WiFi still working? It's also possible your ethernet cable(s) are faulty so are there any others you could try? Although if the built in Gigabit switch is genuinely failing they are of course at liberty to replace the defective Hub!

I've tested the cables with a (low frequency) cable tester, and they are all good, and work on other devices.   The worst port on the hub shows no lights at all.   The other ports have periods of say 1h when they appear to work as normal, but then another period where there are no lights (maybe some temperature related electrical issue inside).   I've tried swapping the cables about and after you said, inspecting the sockets for dirt (nothing helpful there).     The WIFI is so far ok.

0 Kudos
chw
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

oh and thanks for that suggestion too....   maybe I'll record my voice, put it on a loop, and watch the scene while I'm waiting for a person to show up 😉

0 Kudos
chaoshusky
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Interesting.. What device(s) are you connecting? Is it possible something of yours has damaged the ports? If they're all fine on other things i guess not. Definitely sounds like the integrated Ethernet switch control IC is defective or dying, especially if a port isn't lighting up at all! All the pins are slightly raised upwards inside the socket?

Just never had a switch die like that on me before is all, despite being used quite heavily! I'm sure Virgin will send you out a new one if you ask, has a staff member sent you a private message yet?

Never seen someone mark their own answer as helpful before instead of the person that tried.. 😂

Kind regards,

Lee

0 Kudos
chaoshusky
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Zootropolis! Good choice 😂 called Zootopia in other places!

0 Kudos
chw
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Other devices were just raspberry pis, which seem to work fine on the other working ports, or another netgear router I have lying around.

All the hub's socket pins look identical, and ok (to me anyway).    As you say, its consistent with the internal switch IC or support electronics having gone.

Didn't notice a message from a member of staff yet.

Oh and yes, I must have had my eyes shut when hitting the Helpful button (doh, what a berk)..

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello chw

Help is here, Apologies for the delay in replying and picking this post up 

I am more than happy to take a look at this dying hub for you
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update and reply chw

Lets hope the new switch and port behave for the time being 

Please do pop back on here when you need any more help