Menu
tobs_
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

hub 3.0 turns on 2.4ghz when I log off router.

Hi,

I have noticed if I disable 2.4ghz wifi, everything is good.  Then I log off the router and it switches back on the 2.4ghz automatically.  Is there a way to leave this disabled permanently, is this a bug in the router settings (seems most likely explanation) or is this some Virgin Media foolproof way of stopping some support calls?

Reason to disable 2.4ghz : I want to use 5ghz alone, as this seems to alleviate some of the speed bounce since my recent upgrade to 200mbps. (this might be my imagination)

Thanks for any help, or suggestions.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: hub 3.0 turns on 2.4ghz when I log off router.

Switch off Smart Optimisation as well and split the SSID names.  This may work, but if you split the names you can connect devices to 5G and just ignore the 2.4 channel even if it's broadcasting.

tobs_
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. The smart optimisation is already off, but I haven't split the names - it does this for me though, offering one with a digit 2 after it? Will splitting the names fix the bug?
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

TBH I don't know as I use Modem mode and my own networking kit.  As for splitting the SSID's most uses just add something like -2 and -5 to the end of the existing names.  Don't use a . (period) in the names as there are reports of this failing due to it's use. 

I've also never heard of any Hubs adding a number to the names, as they always use the same SSID, as it's a requirement for the new VM wifi Pods.

tobs_
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I split it by putting a 2 on the end.. and it put another 2 on the end, haha. So my wifi is called mywifi 2 2 now.. 🙂

(but it made no difference, it still switched back on the 2.4ghz - seems it's not when I log off, just after 5 or 10 mins maybe.)

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Are there spaces in the names?  If so, try removing them or add a dash if required, e.g. -2

tobs_
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I think we might be on a wild goose chase here, my friend.
0 Kudos
tobs_
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I have set it and split the names and removed the spaces.  I will go and have a cup of tea and report back later.  Thank you so much for your help.

6.JPG

7.JPG

0 Kudos
tobs_
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

and... it has unilaterally decided to turn back on 2.4Ghz.  I think it's just a bug in the router firmware.

1.JPG2.JPG

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi @tobs_

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear your router does not leave 2.4ghz disabled. You may find the following link useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-changing-your-hubs-wireless-channel#subhub . When you log out of the router, are you also rebooting the device?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide