Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

hub 3.0 in modem mode still giving off wifi

Hi, i have connected a router to the hub 3.0 and turned hub 3.0 to modem mode. There is still a wifi signal coming from the hub 3.0 to which i can connect and browse the internet. i can also log connect to the router linksys wrt3200acm and browse internet. Im not getting anywhere near 350mbs on either connection (as per my subscription). im not sure if the wifi on the hub is interfering with the router wifi? I have switched the hub back to router mode and disabled the wifi - now i can now longer pick up the virgin wifi or linksys wifi. However, when put it back into modem modem, the wifi on the virgin hub comes back on as does the linksys?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: hub 3.0 in modem mode still giving off wifi

the hub in modem mode does not provide any WIFI services.

so either you haven't put it into modem mode, or you're connecting to someone elses wifi.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

In modem mode the hub's light will turn magenta. You then connect your router by its WAN port to any of the hub's LAN ports. If you don't get internet from your router, reboot it so that it gets its IP public address.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

using third party router does it lower latency?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No. The latency issues were with the hub's modem which were partly fixed by a firmware upgrade.

A router provides better configuration than the hub's which is notoriously poor and insulates you from upgrades which can reset a hub's configuration.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@DarkKnight19 wrote:

Hi, i have connected a router to the hub 3.0 and turned hub 3.0 to modem mode. There is still a wifi signal coming from the hub 3.0 to which i can connect and browse the internet. i can also log connect to the router linksys wrt3200acm and browse internet. Im not getting anywhere near 350mbs on either connection (as per my subscription). im not sure if the wifi on the hub is interfering with the router wifi? I have switched the hub back to router mode and disabled the wifi - now i can now longer pick up the virgin wifi or linksys wifi. However, when put it back into modem modem, the wifi on the virgin hub comes back on as does the linksys?

A couple if things to unpack here:

1. Wireless in modem mode - This shouldn't happen as @chenks has said.  What is the SSID you saw and connected to in modem mode?  Is it the same as the one broadcast by the hub in router mode?  I'm thinking it might be the public wifi hotspot of a neighbour's VM hub.

2. Speeds not near 350Mbs - This could be a bottleneck with your equipment.  Some PC's have network cards that are limited to 100Mbs, or faulty drivers that can limit speed or are not configured correctly, or it could be the Ethernet cable that is limiting speed by design or due to damage.  Your PC or Mac needs to have a Gigabit Ethernet port and you should use a Cat5e or higher Ethernet cable.  Connect direct to the hub in modem mode to rule out the Linksys router as the bottleneck.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi than you for your messages. 

I can confirm the hub hub is definitely in modem mode (magenta light) and it is still giving off Wi-fi. It is definitely the hub Wi-fi as it the same SSID as previous to me setting up new router. Also I have tried disconnecting from that network and reconnecting -it uses exactly same Wi-fi password. I have rebooted hub and router but same happens. I called virgin -they put me through to gadget support who told me...after putting me through to various people... ‘this is normal’. My Wi-fi is speed is decent with the Linksys Wi-fi tbf-but coverage on the 5ghz channel does drop off a lot closer to router than on virgin hub. I just didn’t want the two WiFi’s potentially causing conflicts running side by side. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

if it's giving out WIFI then it's NOT in modem mode.
a hub3 in modem mode does not but pass data to your router, it does not have WIFI capabilities.

what the gadget support told you is, quite frankly, nonsense.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
if it's giving out WIFI then it's NOT in modem mode.
a hub3 in modem mode does not but pass data to your router, it does not have WIFI capabilities.

what the gadget support told you is, quite frankly, nonsense.

A bit harsh there @chenks. It could be modem mode, but not as we know it.  If the light is purple/magenta and no other lights are illuminated and the GUI is only accessible via http://http://192.168.100.1/ then it is in modem mode.

It is however correct to say that Gadget Support (as per usual) are talking utter rubbish, this is not in any way shape or form normal for modem mode.

@DarkKnight19 If it is the same SSID in both modes, is it an SSID that starts VM followed by some numbers or is it called "Virgin Media"?  I'm trying to rule out the possibility that you are connecting via a VM WiFi hotspot rather than the hubs router mode SSID.

Can you also confirm the firmware version of your hub?

Sorry for all the questions but this is so unusual and has as all scratching our heads.

On your other issue of slow speeds, have things improved?

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

easy way to test this.
put the hub into modem mode, can you still see the alleged WIFI SSID broadcasting?
if yes, turn the hub3 off, can you still see it now?

do this test with the linksys router turned off at all times.