Menu
brockett
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

how to get the 5g channel back

I have had really bad issues with my wifi dropping all through the day for a long time. A few months ago I got out an engineer and he added the 5g channel to my 2g channel. It didn't actually help, but now that has disappeared since I did a factory reset - due to appalling stability issues. With two people working from home, I really want to try the 5g again. Can anyone tell me simply how to add the 5g channel again? I just don't know why I'm going to pay a whole lot more very soon and I am just getting a really bad unreliable service that is driving everyone mad.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: how to get the 5g channel back

@brockett wrote:

I have had really bad issues with my wifi dropping all through the day for a long time. A few months ago I got out an engineer and he added the 5g channel to my 2g channel. It didn't actually help, but now that has disappeared since I did a factory reset - due to appalling stability issues. With two people working from home, I really want to try the 5g again. Can anyone tell me simply how to add the 5g channel again? I just don't know why I'm going to pay a whole lot more very soon and I am just getting a really bad unreliable service that is driving everyone mad.

sounds like the engineer "split" the channels out - as you've just done a factory reset, your hub is probably broadcasting both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz with the same name..

Log into the hub on http://192.168.0.1 and navigate to advanced - have a look in there for wireless settings, and rename either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz (or both) channel to something different - you can then connect to whichever you prefer.

you should probably also disable "smart wifi" whilst your there (believe it's on the same page, but you might have to hunt for it).  

0 Kudos
brockett
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Oh thank you, what is smart wifi? I'm not good at tech.
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@brockett wrote:
Oh thank you, what is smart wifi? I'm not good at tech.

VM's definition here, not sure i trust VMs implementation though - hence the recommendation to disable it