Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

home hub 4 connection drops mostly 2.4ghz

Hello i like many ive read on here have been having a few issues with the home hub 4, generally the signal is poorer than the home hub 3 but that is no excuse as i am using certain devices within 5 metres of the router. 

I have done many things to help try and solve the problem but now i am out of ideas.

1. I changed the SSID's for both 2.4 and 5 to keep them seperate (had to do something similar with home hub 3)

2. I have taken those 2 SSIDs and given them an individual wireless channel numbers that i were available from data i retrieved from the wifi analyser app

3. I have ran ping tests using both apps and the command prompt on my laptop that show with no interuptions apart from the actual disconnect on the 2.4ghz devices.

4. i thought the laptop may have had some issue as the connection drops on that device the most, so the laptop got a fresh factory default reinstall and the same issues are persisting with the wifi

5. I have rechecked and tightened the connections, tried turing off other things around the house that may interfere with the signal with the same connection drop persisting.

6. I have ran the 2.4ghz on its own disabling the 5ghz and connection still dropping to multiple devices like the TV and Laptop, i have also tried running the 5ghz on its own but a few of my devices will only run on 2.4ghz

7. I have also factory reset the router a few times in hope of the problem would magically solve itself.

This is starting to get frustrating as i am working from home.

I do not want to go out of my way, source and buy another router to put the router into modem mode, clearly this router is not fit for purpose and that purpose is to provide me with a working stable internet connection, i dont want to have endless ethernet leads running through my sitting area in order to have a stable connection...

On the upside the 5ghz although poor signal strength in other parts of the house but i havnt really noticed any connection drops on the mobile phones or the kids tablet.

So is there actually a solution to this? or do i have to cancel my package and go to another provider that supply a router with less issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: home hub 4 connection drops mostly 2.4ghz

What channel width have you set the 2.4Ghz band to?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I currently have it at 7, i have tried it at both 1,6/7 and 11 as 1-5 seem to have most of the traffic in my area
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@pauldoran12 wrote:
I currently have it at 7, i have tried it at both 1,6/7 and 11 as 1-5 seem to have most of the traffic in my area

Only use 1, 6 or 11.

Also I meant the width - 20Mhz or 20/40Mhz?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

i am currently on 20/40mhz ive been switching between both to see if there has been an improvement
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Don’t use 20/40. Just use 20. 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok so i have set the channel to 1 and ive set it to 20, il see how this goes, if it drops il try 6 and then try 11
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

ok tested channel 1 it drops connection regularly
also tested channel 11 it drops connection regularly also

as for channel 6 it has dropped connection multiple times when i have remoted into work but strangely the wifi symbol on my laptop has stayed on, only once has it dropped and took away the wifi symbol

any suggestions on whats next? please note i had no issues prior to the home hub 4
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you rely on the 2.4Ghz band (not many devices will) then you can put the hub into Modem Mode with your own router attached or a mesh system. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I only have the 1 device that relys on the 2.4ghz band, i am already paying virgin for a service though i shouldnt have to go out of my way to either buy a new laptop or invest in a new router or mesh system. I had no issues with the home hub 3, clearly this home hub 4 is not fit for purpose.
0 Kudos