Highlighted
willows2332
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

high latency?

31 ms ping on average  to google.co.uk

is this acceptable?

bt gave me 8 ms ping  on average to google.co.uk. hence why i had lower ping in game.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Liddiard1985
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: high latency?

Did you do that search via the settings in the hub ? Virgin has more latency than BT anyway but I also found the quality was worse too getting more ping spikes and packet loss.

Set up a BQM on think broadband so you can monitor it more closely.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
toms88
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Same here, latency to google is around 20-30ms but jumps occasionly to 300ms~ and a few dropped packets. Id say this has been going on for a few weeks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Andruser
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

31 ms is within the normal range for a DOCSIS cable connection.  The minimum server latency you'll see with cable is about 17ms, but on top of that there's continuous minor spikes up to around 25-35 ms.  And if the network is congested or faulty those spikes will be much higher.

An Openreach connection will offer better and less variable latency, but the net difference is only going to be at most 10-15ms, and since your round trip reaction times are at best 250ms the difference in connection won't make any measurable difference to your gameplay.   I wouldn't choose a cable connection purely for gaming, but if you're with VM and it is working properly there's not much of a case for changing ISP.

0 Kudos