Menu
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 1 of 46
Flag for a moderator

hidden network tivo

Today I keep losing connection happened twice and green light flashing on hub for a while. But the main  issue is my computer detecting a hidden wifi network full strength 4 bars. I switched off the hub3 and it seemed to  disappear. Then later on I saw it again, by switching off power to the tivo box the hidden network disappeared and has not returned on powering the tivo box, the tivo is connected by wifi not cable. What could this be, have had it a few times over the last week or so. The house next door is empty so I think it is from my own virgin equipment as the signal very strong, unless it is someone with a powerful router nearby but it is off most of the time. Never saw this before until recently.Could it be picked up during the initial booting up of the hub before the ssid is found and therefor be a false identification, but I also checked with a wifi inpector on my tablet showed a hidden network. Have checked hub3 settings all normal except for logs saying critical fault this morning. Guest network is switched off. The hidden network is a random incident that seems to switch on and off. Not there now, hub 3 has rebooted by itself for some reason and no hidden network now.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 46
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: hidden network tivo

Hello

By chance do you have you have virginmedia wifi turned on, you can check at https://my.virginmedia.com/my-profile/view scroll down the page a little bit and will show if you have opted in to it, it would be there by default, unless you have opted out.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 3 of 46
Flag for a moderator

I have checked virignmedia wifi and I am opted out of the virgin wifi in my profile so can not be that-
so thanks I had forgot about that option, and worth checking, so still unsure what the hidden network was.

Will monitor to see if it returns.
The hidden network is a secured network, suspect it happens during the booting up of the hub3 or tivo for some reason as I switch them of at night. Alternatively it is from another source close by but the signal is similar strength to the hub3.
This has not happened before so something has caused it.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 46
Flag for a moderator

What other network kit do you have?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 5 of 46
Flag for a moderator

I only have hub3 and tivo box belonging virgin.

additional equipment 2 printers, 

smart tv but not connected in spare room and switched off.

laptop in use.

My now box is disconnected so not that.

However I have found the culprit- it is the tivo box perhaps?

If I do a wifi scan using avast antivirus the tivo comes up as a  router ref 192.168.0.19  ref 6dce, so disconnected all the leads from tivo, but as soon as I plug the virgin signal cable and power lead  lead the hidden network returns but is interrmittant switching on and off regularly.

So i tried to log into the hidden network using my  ssid and wi fi password and it acceped and connected so I now have two wifi connections showing with same ssid  but one has a sufix-2 indicating two versions exist, could this be the two frequencies?, but in the past just one ssid and assumed frequency/chanel switched automatically. Still baffled. This is happening  with the power lead out of the tivo.

shall I do a reboot of hub 3? just wondered if there was hacking or a back door somewhere.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 6 of 46
Flag for a moderator

just checked my setting for hub, both channels same ssid and both set to broadcast

so no hidden networks should be there 

seem to have a ghost/clone which is conneced to tivo box acting as a router or connecting to a back door in hub3?

there are two wifi networks listed, either one will connect to my equipment.

I have my own named ssid not the default one.

how is this possible??  seems ther is aconnection between hub and tivo acting oddly, could it be hacked

my hub 3 has been rebooting by itself a few time today downloading data  but still carried on working with green lights flashing.

lost connection a lot this morning but alright at the moment, even the help line 150 was not working early this morning

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 7 of 46
Flag for a moderator

unusual channel numbers noticed

2.4g channel 1

5g  chanel   44

is that normal

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 8 of 46
Flag for a moderator

woried in case I have been hacked and a duplicated network that is the same as my own??switching between cahnnels normally is automatic with same ssid for both channels, so why do I have a hidden ssid which now I have logged into it show the correct ssid but with a suffix 2

do I need to reboot to default setting to sort this- any reply may be helpful-  my gut feeling is to reboot  ASAP

please advise 

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 9 of 46
Flag for a moderator

I have concluded that the virgin hub3 is transmitting two network signals, just started recently.

one carries the correct ssid name, the other is a hidden network, could be a hotspot.

I can use either one, they appear identical in very respect and can view hub setting in both.

the one not in use then re-appears as the hidden network.

As I am opted out of the hotspot this should not be happening, and in any case the hotspot should be named virginmedia, I can see one from another property correctly named as a hotspot some distance away.

It only happens if the tivo box is connected so that may be implicated, my computer picking up a network via tivo linked to the  hub3, may be signal strength issues implicated, the network diagnostic tool indicates weak signal strength.

I hope it is not a cloned wifi network but unlikely, so will reboot hub and use default settings to see if it gets rid of the clone.

I seems there is no answer to this one??  or perhaps virgin themselves  are messing about with the hubs? hence all the recent rebooting/updating and loss of connection recently., the only other alternative is that the hub or tivo is corrupted/hacked.

I makes me wonder  just how secure is the broadband connection, and no one has a clue why it happens, not even the experts??

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 10 of 46
Flag for a moderator

I notice there is mac filtering option , is this any good and would it improve security in the event of duplicated networks that I seem to have.

0 Kudos