Menu
gavinohara
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

google nest and virgin hub

hi - i want to improve the wifi in my house as i have certain weak spots. I have a few netgear 'plug' extenders but not really good enough for work from home demands. currently i have a virgin 3 router which also has ethernet outputs to my cat5 cabling in the house which i use for say tv and pc connections as generally faster over cable than wifi.

so my question is.....if i get google nest and want to keep my wired connections what do i need to do? do i take 1 output from virgin hub and connect to google nest....then take an ethernet cable from google nest to a (new) switch to allow ethernet connectivity (given limied ethernet outputs on google nest)? have heard that i need to put virgin hub into 'modem' mode to do this?

any help much appreciated!

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: google nest and virgin hub

@gavinohara wrote:

hi - i want to improve the wifi in my house as i have certain weak spots. I have a few netgear 'plug' extenders but not really good enough for work from home demands. currently i have a virgin 3 router which also has ethernet outputs to my cat5 cabling in the house which i use for say tv and pc connections as generally faster over cable than wifi.

so my question is.....if i get google nest and want to keep my wired connections what do i need to do? do i take 1 output from virgin hub and connect to google nest....then take an ethernet cable from google nest to a (new) switch to allow ethernet connectivity (given limied ethernet outputs on google nest)? have heard that i need to put virgin hub into 'modem' mode to do this?

any help much appreciated!

Yup, pretty much as you describe.

hub-->google wifi-->switch & everything else.

Modem mode can be tricky to set up - there's a specific sequence to follow when doing it - but it works well once done. 

0 Kudos
gavinohara
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: google nest and virgin hub

great, thanks for the response