Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

faulty router replacement

I have a faulty router that cuts the wireless signal but not the ethernet, have tried every way that I can to try to get in touch to get a replacement sent out, sick of going round in circles and texting automated systems. Last year my router was checked and was found to be faulty and a replacement WAS sent out, but due to me being in hospital it was sent back to VM, my router seemed to settle down, but has now gone faulty again. I have tried every suggestion on these forums, but as yet have not managed to get a request for a replacement unit out to VM. 

It looks like it might be quicker to write to them with a "to be signed for " letter, but I don't hold much hope to get a response. Any suggestions other than buying a new router as I am a pensioner with limited funds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: faulty router replacement

What Hub model are you currently using (as you sent the "new" one back)?

If its a Hub3 you could try the reset ...

Doing a factory reset can be a bit tricky on a Hub3 – so do it EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If it's not there - dont go any further

With the Hub "on" push in the pin on the back/side/bottom of the Hub with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 5' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings one to access the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

my hub model is a 3, last year virgin tested it over the internet and sent out a replacement, but as my original seemed to have settled down, I sent the new one back  "BIG MISTAKE "  there are lots of faults in the router logs, so it needs replacing not resetting, but trying to get any help to do that from virgin is nothing short of impossible, lost count of the hours spent going around in circles trying to get in touch, to have a replacement sent out.  Whilst I appreciate that we are in difficult times, it should be able to contact someone as I am so worried that it goes off altogether and I can't speak to my wife who lives over in Thailand, and also lose my home phone line which is a Vonage system .   any ideas thanks gilkouk.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

because of the main call centres being on lockdown mostly all calls are being diverted to England with limited resources.

if you send a text to 07533051809 Explaining your problem someone will call you back. ( it could take a little time but someone will)

hopefully this helps

If the advice has been useful please hit the Kudos thumb and mark this reply as Helpful if issue resolved.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

if wired connections are ok then the problem may not be that the hub is faulty just the wireless around you has changed due to many more people using their internet around you - if it is that then replacing the hub is unlikely to help - bad wifi is more often the setup rather than faulty equipment

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal/td... - thats worth reading and may well help if you follow the advice

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Don't think so as I live in a small flat and some of the wireless devices are in the same room 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If you live in a flat then Tony is likely to be "more correct" as you are surrounded by others now using wifi on more devices with SSID's on the same channel(s). Get a wifi scanner App on the phoe]ne and check for them.
If you lived in an isolated detached house it wouldnt be an issue.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

virgin has already told me its FAULTY and all I want is to get in touch to get a replacement sent out , not that hard to understand 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi ,

Thanks for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I have had a look at thing our end and cannot see any issues at all, the only thing I can see is the amount of devices connected to the speed you are on will be more than likely to be causing this and not the router.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well, I am on a 50 meg fibre connection and only use one device at a time  2xtvs 2x phones, 1x computer, and a camera and 3x Alexa devices.  One tv, my Vonage phone and my desktop pc are all on ethernet and have no problem,   Are you telling me that a fibre 50 meg connection cant handle these ? and then why are devices that are within 5 ft, reporting a very low wireless signal.  The problems are exactly the same as last year when Virgin sent out a replacement router after looking at the logs, it was my fault that I did not swap it, and returned it as the one I was using seemed to have settled down, yes a big mistake on my part, the unit I am using just now started going faulty last November, but as I was off to Thailand for 3 months I decided to leave it till I came home mid-March.

So can you be clear is Virgin refusing to exchange my unit?    Thank you gilkouk

0 Kudos