Menu
domfellows
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

extremely inconsistent broadband

My family have been with VM for years now, and the service has not always been the best. But recently it's become worse and hard to deal with. Being a student and needing to attend lessons online, having constant freezes and disconnections is really tough to deal with. I also have quite a lot of work to do and need to stay up quite late, and at present the internet disconnects every night between roughly 12:30am and early in the morning, which is a struggle when I need to access the internet for a late night of work. I try to game too when I get the chance and it's mostly unplayable because of all the ping spikes and issues.

I've noticed that things have not really improved at all over the 8 or so years we've been with VM, but only deteriorated. My family has rung up virgin many many times, and in the past we've had countless engineers replacing cables, trying a new router, etc. and have tried everything suggested - and nothing seems to be helping. Last week we were scheduled to have an engineer come out again; but the day that appointment was scheduled the internet wasn't actually that bad and had significantly improved, so the appointment was cancelled as no issues were there to be fixed. But since the day after it has gotten the worst it has ever been. 

Apparently, since early January the engineers were working on 'upgrading the area' and we were given the date of the 26th of February as when it would be completed. I think the drops in the night correspond to this, but it really isn't convenient with my work schedule, especially for an elongated period of time like that. My dad works as a voiceover artist and due to the pandemic he frequently requires the internet for work in online sessions over the broadband with clients. He has lost connection countless times, and uploading his files takes a very, very long time, even on good days. I feel very sorry for him as the bad connection is tarnishing his reputation with clients which as a freelancer is very important. A few days ago I decided to get a monitor set up to see what was actually happening to our service. It appears there is lots of latency, packet loss, and the drops in the night are very visible. 

Below I will attach a graph of the monitoring I have got so far for insight into what is going on. My area is Epsom. Also it should be noted that my area seems to be very oversubscribed to VM, and this may be a cause, although I am not sure what is going on.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ab528e81ed7b559773d7a0eae944362b9f7a5ebf-08-02-2021

I'd really appreciate some help or advice anyone has to offer. I'm not very knowledgeable about connections, but I do know enough to see that something is very wrong. Even if it is bad news, it would be reassuring to hear because then at least I know what is going on 🙂

Many thanks,

Dom

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: extremely inconsistent broadband

Your BQM is not typical of one in an over-utilisation area. The Hub is clearly off between 00.30 and 07.00 though. Before we start asking you to troubleshoot I will ask VM to come here and see if they can offer you an update.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
domfellows
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

thanks very much that would be great 😁

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi DomFellows,

Thanks for your post, I am sorry you're having this issue with your broadband services recently. 
I have had a look at your services on my side and can see there is an area ticket open, which is regarding congestion on the line. 
This is due to be fixed - 26 FEB 2021 10:15 - but please be aware this is just an estimate, it could change depending on what the engineers find. However, I am sure they will be working incredibly hard to get this fixed as soon as possible for you.

If you would like to create a complaint about this so we can find an alternative resolution for you I would be happy to help you with this. Just let me know and we'll go into a PM to chat more privately about this.
Thanks, 
Megan_L

domfellows
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan, 

Thanks for the info!! I would love to PM regarding the alternative resolutions.

Dom

0 Kudos