Menu
sheldonnick
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

extra wifi booster

I already have a virgin wifi booster kit on a Hub 3. I have Maxit TV I have been told in the past you either have to pay for an extra booster unless you have a higher tv package.

I spoke to Virgin a couple of days ago and the lady said that I would be able to have another when one was available?? No extra money was mentioned. Not sure if I've just been fobbed off again?

Its not the issue about the money or extra cost, I need one. It just seems hard to get hold of one..

Ill gladly pay the extra £5 a month just to get full wifi coverage in my house, if I have too..

Any help or advice would be great

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: extra wifi booster

VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying.

Otherwise you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off the cost of buying a "better" solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
sheldonnick
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

Thanks for the quick response. Please can you recommend one that is suitable for the virgin hub 3 from amazon or ebay etc?

Regards

Nick

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Bit like asking for a good car recommendation:-) Depends on many variables, as a starter see this I have posted in the past (and earlier today !)

I have never used wifi on a VM Hub ! Assuming your wired connections are all ok, then getting your own wireless equipment will solve any wifi issues permanently, and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move supplier.

Dont bother with extenders or boosters - get either.....
(1) A Mesh System, (2) A Wireless router, (3) A Wireless access point or (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

I would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users.  A Triband system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections.

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending up to ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a mansion

Good options for Access points are from Ubiquiti, (routers also) and also, from these companies - for their WiFi routers or Mesh systems: Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Tenda Nova's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-latleys like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically say that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos