Menu
patio
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

disabling WLAN

Hello I am not techie but here goes

I play music from macbook pro wirelessly  to my speakers which are attached to an airport express.Trouble is that the music keeps dropping these days. It used to work fine but over past year or two it is such that its not worth bothering 

After many consultations with Apple they have told me to ask Virgin to disable WLAN

Virgin only seem willing to do this if I pay them. 

Simple question is this reasonable when problem seems a hub one to my mind

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: disabling WLAN

I use all Apple gear with a couple of expresses, but I also have my Hub in modem mode with an Airport Express as my wifi router. My speaker is Sonos (wifi) and works flawlessly.
You dont say but do you have an Extreme in the loop (or another wifi router) that is providing your wifi networks to the Expesses - or are you using the VM Hub's wifi - if so which Hub model is it? And do you know which band 2.4 or 5 GHz they are connecting on?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
patio
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for replying

My speakers B&W are wired to Airport Express

Express is just used for those speakers

I am using VM hub (Hub 3 I think)

I don't know which band they are connecting on. Can I find out, if so how?

Thanks very much

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK - I am guessing that the express is dropping its connection to the Hub's wifi - this might be for any number of reasons - new source of local interference, equipment or furniture moved, etc. So to check it out in your Settings (iPhoe or Macbook) go to Airport Utility there is a "WiFi Scanner" option - turn it on. Then, standing right by the Express with the speakers - open the Utility and click the blue "wi-fi scan" option at the top, then the scan option on the next page it will build up a picture of the "strength of the relative networks it is detecting. Are your networks at the top of the list (best RSSI -nn dBm) or are other networks intruding ? It will also say what channels they are on (1-12 is 2.4 GHz - other numbers are 5GHz).

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
patio
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi I can't find wifi scanner option on my airport utility

I have sorted all other potential problems egg location, interference etc

Apple are saying it can only be the hub

I seem to remember Virgin saying channels 4 & 5 were available

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are you using a phone or macbook ?  Actually I cant see it on my M'bookair - I will mooch around - I usually only use it on the iPhone

Just looked - I think the scan may only be a feature of the iOS utility.  If you dont have an iPhone there are good free scanning Apps for Android

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you're using the 2.4 network you should set it to be on channel 1 or 6 or 11 - whichever is least in use by neighbours - see the pink sticky post at the top of this forum

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
patio
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ok thanks for this

i'll try again when I've got the strength

0 Kudos