Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

device not connecting to hub4

Hi, im a relatively technical person but not overly networky so please bare with me.

Got the hub4 last week, plugged in and set it up no real issues, i changed the SSID and passwords on both 2.4 and 5G bands to the same which i had previously so things "just worked". Everything has been fine with the exception of my home alarm system, which is a rebadged 'Orisec' System installed by a local firm. This will not connect to the WiFi, whether its DHCP or manual IP configuration. I've tried pretty much any confgurable option available, changing bands, frequencies, channels. The wifi adapter on the device only works on 2.4G, and worked on my hub3 without any issues.

edit. i should add it does see the ssid when performing a network scan - just doesn't connect to it.

The alarm company has been out, we tried setting it to manual IP configuration also incase it was a weird dhcp issue. No luck. The engineer then called Tech Support at Orisec who then said "is it a hub4?", yes, "oh we havent been able to connect to any of those"...

Can anybody please advise if this is a known issue for VM, if its being worked on, or if there is any work around which might get this back online?

Thanks,

Ryan

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: device not connecting to hub4

Have you changed the 2.4Ghz band to allow B/G/N rather than the default G/N?

You may have to put the hub into Modem Mode and get your own router if it doesn't work with the Hub4 on its own.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

To be honest you are better off having separate SSIDs for the two frequencies to prevent situations like this.

Sometimes simplicity is more difficult.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi yes, i always have them separated - and I have tried b/g/n and various different variants with no luck. 😕

I have got to be honest, buying another router to allow my alarm to connect to is just about the least palatable option really. I'd sooner get VM to send me a hub3 back, at least that worked!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are you on Gig1 Broadband?

There might not be a possibility to downgrade - they can't make the hub compatible with every bit of kit, especially over wifi.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, no I just got offered the upgraded router, and foolishly took it 🙂

but i would say that simple dhcp and ip allocation/connectivity isnt really a big compatibility issue usually, these are defined open standards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HI dooberry18, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the new hub. Can you confirm if you are still having issues with this or has this since been resolved?. Does this happen on one device or on multiple devices? What error message are you currently getting? ^Chris 

0 Kudos