Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

curious about 30-60min service drop-out

Hello all,

I think this is the first post from me.

Sometime in the last hour I noticed slow internet

My profile is: Super Hub 2ac and 100Mbps service.  Usually a speed test will give 100-110Mbps.

When I checked it was 0.5Mbps (so 0.5% of what it ought to be).

I rebooted it.

Over the next hour I had a service outage;  the service has now recovered but it's raised a few questions in my mind, especially given I'm now working from home in the current situation, and so I'd like to understand what I can expect from this service.

It looks like my outage was somewhere between 30-60mins, but the Virgin Media website's Service Status showed everything is OK as I was trying to gather information surrounding the outage.  So I think my first question is: is this type of glitch typical of Virgin Media?  And is it usual for Virgin Media website's Service Status to show nothing's wrong when a customer is experiencing a service outage for 30-60mins?

Here are some technical details of what was happening on my side (e.g. modem lights)

On startup I observed the lights:

• double headed arrow (that is usually flashing blue showing data throughput) was flashing green
  • the tick (that is usually steady blue) was cycling from slow flashing blue to fast flashing blue and back to slow flashing blue and so on;  if I were to speculate I believe this is a handshaking indicator as the Super Hub 2ac is negotiating the connection with the service; so this suggested to me that the hub is having difficulty connecting to the service.  When I finally got through to the Customer Service Representative on the phone (it took a while, it was a 40min on-hold time) she informed me she couldn't see anything wrong with the service over this previous 60 minutes on her side.

Could anyone share some of their own experience / wisdom?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: curious about 30-60min service drop-out

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting your district. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible internal and external co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some more troubleshooting; to start with …

Disable any VPNs that you have running.

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos