cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

constant dropping of service

craig1978
Joining in

I have had continued issues with VM BB. Started with 5 static IP's. This never worked. Switched to dynamic IP. I use the VM router in modem mode as it never supplies constant service in router mode. Had 9 engineer visits and still doesn’t work. Was told need an account rebuild but easier to buy new line and go from there. I have done that. guys came to pull cable through. Couldn’t get it through so stated will have to splice the line for 2nd line. New router installed today. Same issues. ping test results are 4 or 5 pings followed by 2-3 time outs. Set up is Hitron in modem mode to an Azus router which acts as modem then feeding from tat to a 16 port switch. Have replaced my azus router. replaceed switch. still same issues and now on the "sort of new line" too.
Any help or ideas? Business broadband and i cant operate our business without internet.

1 REPLY 1

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
This is a forum for Residential package users so replies may be sporadic as not many on here will be familiar with the Hitron.

Only thing I can suggest is set up the Asus again like this....

Set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and switch it off and unplug it. Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.