Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

config settings

Hi

To cut a long story short with myself and my wife both working from home since April we have experienced intermittent issues with broadband as i am sure many have. More devices constantly conected during office hours etc 2 x Laptops 2 x Smart Phones,  TV.

So i requested a new Hub 3 router which Virging kindly sent to me. I then began to look into router settings to try find perfect configurations for all our devices optimum Broadband speeds and wifi connectivity.

Anyway on to my main problem I discovered that the network adapter in my own laptop was not 5g compatible Atheros Qualcomm AR9485WB, so my next move was to purchase a 5g capable external usb wifi dongle.TPLink AC1300. Installed the TP LInk + software disc drivers etc and Disabled the inbuilt Atheros adapter.

For some reason my laptop will still not connect to 5g only 2.4g. My next move was to attempt to force connection to 5g so after searching internet for advice i decided to rename my network 2.4g and 5g with separate SSID names to distinguish between the 2 networks 1/ named 2g 2/ named 5g. in the hope i could choose one specific connection over the other as a preference.

My i phone recognizes both SSIDs and i can choose via the settings menu which it connects to either 1/ 2.4g or 2/5g , so does my wifes laptop, and my wifes phone, and my TV i assume via automatically detected settings. My own laptop however will still not recognize the 5g network.

Now on to what i believe the problem to be, i have checked all of the settings in my new external TPLink wifi adapter and i believe them to be correct but when i perform the following task on my computer to check the network > network & Internet settings > manage known networks > properties . My 2.4 g network shows full settings details as below

SSID: VM2377765
Protocol: Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 2.4 GHz
Network channel: 1
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 144/144 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::b59d:73bb:6a29:d4a6%19
IPv4 address: 192.168.0.16
IPv4 DNS servers: 194.168.4.100
Manufacturer: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Description: TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter
Driver version: 1030.38.712.2019
Physical address (MAC): **:**:**:**:**:**

But the 5g network (which i manually added by the way) is blank all it states is IP settings > IP Assignment AUTOMATIC DHCP i assume it is not automatically detecting the settings for the 5g network as my i phone and my wifes laptop is doing.

Obviously i assume without settings it will not connect , so i have then had a look into changing from AUTOMATIC DHCP to manual settings > edit settings > ipv4 / ipv6 at this point i am unsure which to choose from the ipv4/6 options. If i choose ipv 4 or 6  it opens up a box which asks for the following settings 

IP ADDRESS

SUBNET PREFIX LENGTH

GATEWAY

PREFERRED DNS

ALTERNATIVE DNS

My question is now how do i obtain these settings to manually set up the connection to the 5g network, and is this the root of my problem with 5g connectivity on my laptop? will manually entering these settings allow me to connect to the 5g network ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: config settings

Hello

Just had a look at the specs for that USB dongle and found this

"Does Qualcomm Atheros ar9485wb eg support 5GHz?

Your card supports up to wireless n, but only on a 2.4 GHz band. You won't be able to connect to a 5 GHz band unless you change wireless adapters."

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. The Qualcomm Atheros is the Laptops inbuilt adapter which i have disabled,  i am aware that it is not 5g capable,  but i have purchased a 5g capable external dongle as stated above TPLink AC1300 which is 5g capable and is the one i am now using but still cant connect to 5g.?

"Anyway on to my main problem I discovered that the network adapter in my own laptop was not 5g compatible Atheros Qualcomm AR9485WB, so my next move was to purchase a 5g capable external usb wifi dongle.TPLink AC1300. Installed the TP LInk + software disc drivers etc and Disabled the inbuilt Atheros adapter"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Download the latest drivers for the dongle from the support site for TP-Link.

The ones on the disc in the box are probably very outdated. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your input everyone but i think i have solved it with a post from the Tplink archer forum, just needed to change the advanced adapter settings from auto to 802.11a .as below  now connected.

I ended up installing the Broadcom 4360 drivers or 43xx for Windows 10 from a 3rd party site, driver-wireless.com. Once installed, look under the Advanced tab in the Device Manager properties for the card, there is an option for "Band Preference".  I set that to 'Prefer 802.11a'  instead of 'None' and it instantly connected to my 5 Ghz network. Thinking they meant 802.11ac... 'a' is very old standard.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What's wrong with the official driver offered by TP-Link?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos