Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

cant connect third party router

it wont connect to the virgin media superhub 3, I put virgin media into modem mode, then waited 15 mins, then turned on the tp link vr2800, and presente with a drop down list of isps to select.

I cselected virgin_adsl, but that asked for a password and username, so I selected "other" from the drop down list, and i then selected vdsl and dynamic IP, then i click connect and it couldn't connect to the internet.

Anbody any experince with this router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: cant connect third party router

The TP Link, is this the model with one of the ports labelled at LAN/WAN? If so then connect a cable from that port to either of the ports on the VM Hub. The VM Hub is in modem mode, the bottom light is a sort of reddish/magenta colour?

Configure the TP Link to be dynamic WAN address, using the WAN port. 

Power off the VM Hub, reboot the TP-link and wait for it to fully start up. When it's fully initialised, power up the VM Hub, wait for it to fully initialise as well (bottom light is a steady magenta colour), the Tp-Link should now have a public IP address on it's WAN interface and you should have internet access via it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

yes it is reddish/magenta

"Configure the TP Link to be dynamic WAN address, using the WAN port. "

Only way i know todo this is, if i select "other" from the ISP list, then select Dynamic IP, But also on "other" I have to choose either ADSL or VDSL.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well that's a bit of a rubbish interface then!

Definitely not ADSL; VDSL it is. The VM hub will still need to be power cycled AFTER the TPLInk is connected and fully initialised.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

well i did exactly as you mentioned and still the tp link can't establih an connection with the vm hub

thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Try this

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the Hub 3 then power off the Hub3.

Then, set up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the Cat 5E/6 cable to the Hub 3.

Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect your own router to the VM hub.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson

Ex UK Armed Forces
Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Or other option take it back were got it from, and ask for a cable router, since that router designed for internet providers like bt, sky etc

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos