cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cable Drop outs, yet again,,,,, Need an engineer, again, its that time of year , again

andrewmm
Fibre optic

Its that time of year, again ,,,  were getting drop outs, again,  

andrewmm_1-1682677568886.png

Having to take a day off work, again,

Id imagine again to have "engineer" add or remove an attenuator, as power is to high / to low.

seems every time some one comes to work on the street box, we suffer.

joys of being an add on street, after the original NTL Worlds street box was added.

18 REPLIES 18

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi andrewmm,

Thank you for reaching out and welcome back, I am sorry to see you were facing connection issues recently, I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you and can see there was an issue which has since been fixed, how are things your end now?

Regards

Paul.

andrewmm
Fibre optic

and here is the latest update !

andrewmm_0-1682942207385.png

Hi @andrewmm, thank you for your response. 

We've had a look on our systems and can see you would benefit from having one of our technicians sent out to visit your property. 

In order to arrange this, we'll send you a private message on here. Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner. If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.

Regards,
Daniel

andrewmm
Fibre optic

My only comment @Daniel_et, 

is if you look back over my records, 

you will see this is around twice a year that we need an enginer.

they tend to come and add / remove an attenuator

change the hub, 4-> 5 , back to 4 back to 5 , one year even pulled through a new cable.

big deep intake of breath when they see my server rack

but this has been going on for years now, 

and my bill goes up each year , and what ever the real problem is does not get fixed.

and each time, I have to take a day off work , which as self employed I'd rather not do 

andrewmm
Fibre optic

todays update..

05-05-2023.png

andrewmm
Fibre optic

Engineer update,

he came, he looked at the fact I have Ethernet switch and a house wired for Gb Ethernet

looked at the fact I have my own wifi network,

said I should have a business account  as the virgin5 hub can't work with Ethernet switches unless its in modem mode...

Apparently the BQM graph can not be relied upon, as its not virgin approved, and the fact it shows drop outs between the internet and the virgin hub, is due to my wifi !

I thanked the guy , and he left..

andrewmm_0-1683370837724.png

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you keep a record of the power levels on the Hub?  Can you post the latest set?

As for your own kit, I would recommend you get your own Router and use Modem mode.  I've never used any VM Hub as a Router, as I, like you, run my own networking kit.  I can vouch for Draytek non wifi routers, as I've used these for several years, and supply the wifi via separate PoE AP's.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

andrewmm
Fibre optic

Hi

im in discusion with a virgin person ,

as for the hub / draytec,

Yep in my professional job I use draytec a lot, been stung recently by some of the old kit no longer geting updates, and the zeroday vunrability they suffered.

There are only 4 of us in the house,

Im away a lot,  but the teenagers and wife need a reliable setup 

when we had house built we had a wired Ethernet installed with a patch panel and switch,  and out own access points around the house, don't use the virgin wifi,

If we want to use 500 Mb plus link, not keen to purchase my own hardware fire wall, when the Hub is meant to be able to run at over 1 G , and is included in the price, 

I was just shocked that the "technician" who came would only entertain the idea that as we had our own switch and patch panel we need to be on a business account as the domestic account does not work with a separate switch ,

power levels

downlink between 4.4 and 9.4 dBmV ,  depending upon channel