cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband continuing problems

robball
Joining in

For a few weeks I have been having internet problems with it either droping out or really slow.

Currentky I have 135mps but that will become 3 to 5 or zero in a while

I have done all the diagnostsics , multiple hub resets called CS , had tech visit booked and then it solves itself. 

There is obvious some issue and it is getting really frustrating phoning customer suppport and left hanging whilst they follow their flow chart and every time suggest a hub reset. Its NOT a HUB RESET ISSUE

One issue that is really to the fore now is that over the last 6 evenings we have been getting consitent lagging on the TV , you can imagine the furore in the house when strictly is reduced to a stutter and the foxtrot becomes more like a poorly executed waltz. The rugby world cup recordings are interesting to follow as i get frame by frame viewing and I am feeling like the 4th official.  It is pretty consistent and seems to mainly resolve itself by around 8.30pm .

The hub is next to my TV and the box is ethernet cable connected. 

Any ideas on what the issue is and how I can get VM to sort it out

My engineering head is telling me it is an area issue and lack of capacity. I am feeling that in the evening someone is mining bitcoins or doing a lot of gaming. 🙂

Help

PS please dont tell me to reset the hub !!!

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you do this - the BQM will reveal if there is a capacity issue.

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) (DONT click these links) - and hit return. No need to log in - just click on the “Router Status” icon/text at bottom-middle (Hub3/4/5) or top/right (SH’s) - of the Login page.
Then… Navigate to these “data pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again). If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

Also, If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

robball
Joining in

15.30 had 135MPS  whoopee   went to walk the dog  with a smile on my face  .  1715 it was 4 MPS 17.30 couldnt even manage a speed test,. During Strictly i kept myself well out of the way , there was some pretty interesting language regarding the quality of the picture , even the dog came and hid with me in the kitchen. Have an engineer heading our way on top priority .......ish .. well Wednesday . wish us luck . 

P.S  the rugby was fine as it was late and we are now at 22.30 hrs seeing 133.6 mps   Hey Ho 

Good morning.  This morning we have no internet .  Its the randomness that is frustrating, Work using my mobile hotspot again .  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of known local issues and fix estimates, down to street cab/ postcode level.

If there is a known issue - the Tech visits get auto-cancelled.

Lets see your stats and BQM !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey robball,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your broadband connection, there is no current area fault, are you still having issues at the moment?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

hi  all was eventually sorted , it was an issue in the local "box" which had 3 vans around .  Glad it was eventually picked up by the team .  Thanks 

Hi there @robball, thanks for the reply on the forums. 👋🏼

I'm glad the team were able to locate and resolve this issue as fast as they did.
If you have any other issues - reach back out to us here and we'll intervene and assist.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs