Menu
gavinpiper16
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

booking a fault out

how do i book a fault ticket? i have intermittent issues with my service, that i doubt a service test will help with, that a reboot wont help with and no clear way to get help via the app or website. ringing 150 is always busy. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: booking a fault out

What "intermittent issues" do you have and what makes you think it needs a tech visit?

Have you tried a factory reset of the Hub.?

Are all the coax connections in nice and finger tight?

Have you checked 0800 561 0061 for known faults?

Did you call CS and what did they say when they checked the connection (150 is not that busy at 08.00)?

What do the Hub stats look like?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
gavinpiper16
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

i didnt say i wanted an engineer visit. i want to book a fault out. i shouldnt have to look at the hub to see why i keep getting my connection drop out and reconnect.

A factory reset is not a fix for a problem, that is just covering up an issue or defect and a reboot is not a fix either or troubleshooting.

i have no idea what downstream and upstream signals should be, that is what a remote engineer should check.

snr dwnstrm is 38 and rxmer is 38.6-9

i have no idea what rs errors should be as a baseline.

no cabling issues.

no known issues

Bottom line is it should not be down to the customer to work the issue and why would i try and call at 8am when its fine at 8am. i shouldnt have to at a specific time.

@jbrennand wrote:
What "intermittent issues" do you have and what makes you think it needs a tech visit?

Have you tried a factory reset of the Hub.?

Are all the coax connections in nice and finger tight?

Have you checked 0800 561 0061 for known faults?

Did you call CS and what did they say when they checked the connection (150 is not that busy at 08.00)?

What do the Hub stats look like?

Bottom line is it should not be down to the customer to work the issue and why would i try and call at 8am when its fine at 8am. i shouldnt have to at a specific time.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

OK your call. A VM person will respond on here in 5-10 days

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@gavinpiper16 wrote:

Because any reasonable person would troubleshoot, as with with any service/device purchased.

0 Kudos
gavinpiper16
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

that kind of outlines the issue John. if i want to book a fault out, i should be able to call or do it online. calling is limited when you can get through with no queueing system of note. 

Is there any reference docs anywhere that outline the baseline stats i should see.

its not that i cant troubleshoot ( i design a nd build dwdm systems for a living), but even if i find an issue i still have to log a ticket somehow!

0 Kudos
gavinpiper16
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

i pay for  a service. 

i do basic troubleshooting that is reasonable, so cable checking - rebooting is not troubleshooting, nor is a reset. what other basic troubleshooting do you suggest i should i do? if someone wants to guide me through some diags on the phone, thats fine after i've booked a ticket

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@gavinpiper16 wrote:

i pay for  a service. 

i do basic troubleshooting that is reasonable, so cable checking - rebooting is not troubleshooting, nor is a reset. what other basic troubleshooting do you suggest i should i do? if someone wants to guide me through some diags on the phone, thats fine after i've booked a ticket

you'll get more help from the regulars on the forum here to help pinpoint the issue than you will VM first line - they'll ask if you've rebooted it, and tell you they'll send a magical signal. then you'll be back in the 60+ minute queue.

The VM forum folks will be along eventually, and by the time they are there'll be a bunch of info in this post that may help them when determining whether or not to book an engineer for you..

Set up a BQM 

Browse to your hub on http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1 if in modem mode, and without logging in, click on the "router status" button.  Post the data from the Upstream, Downstream and Network Log tabs back here (it will need more than one post) and the people around here that understand it all will no doubt chime in if there are any obvious issues...

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I interpret ... "booking a fault out"... as booking a person to come out and fix a fault - not just to report one. No way any company would do that automatically without interrogating the issue first.

So you need to "report" a fault by phone - do it at any time you like - but at 08.00 you will get through quickly - at other times you will have to wait and try several times - not justifying it - just saying that it is how it is at the moment.

You can also text it in (07533 051809) but replies seem to be hit and miss. Wait here for VM to pick it up (5-10 days) or for urgent issues (vulnerable customers, etc) VIP's can request a quick response from VM. We have no evidence your issue is urgent,.

The point of troubleshooting is... If your issue is a VM network connection then what you say is correct, if its a wifi only issue then you can try logging it - but the CS's usually just say "the connections fine that's all we can do unless you want to rent our Pods at £5/month"

So we on here could suggest what to do to try and improve it for you without getting pods. But it requires trouble shooting. VM do not set hard and fast limits for the power levels etc., they prefer to look at the holistic picture, but that data does flag to us really obvious right between the eyes network issues.

As does setting up a Broadband Quality Monitor trace.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
gavinpiper16
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

thanks tehwolf thats useful information.

i think though, that that still highlights my issue, which so far all i have is to ring at 8am. Is that the only way?

0 Kudos