Menu
zoe6389
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

best wireless kit/router?

Hi,

I'm not the best at all this tech equipment but  whilst I was trying to figure out why my wifi was so rubbish I seen somebody mention that it would be worthwhile investing in a new wireless kit (non VM) 

I don't know what I'm looking for so would rather know I'm buying one which is going to work for me as I'm currently working from home (computer based) so it is most defiantly worth the investment to save all the stress of me with my work and my son with his gaming.

I have just changed some settings on the hub, I have changed it to 2.4 and 5GHz rather than auto (no idea what it means but I have done it )

Please could anyone recommend a easy to set up but a good one wireless kit/router?

thank you 🙂 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: best wireless kit/router?

This and many others are what your looking for
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-Armor-Multi-Gigabit-AC2600-Router/dp/B08KGSQWTT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&k...

---------------------------------------------------------------
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Follow this advice before spending money.  Replacing the hub's wireless with good third party kit is a sound option to fix wireless problems (I've done it), but that will only address wireless issues.  If there's any underlying broadband problem they won't get fixed by a new router or mesh system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

zoe6389
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you for getting back to me, I do think it works fine when plugged directly into the router with a Ethernet cable , my son has been doing it with his laptop. So I do think it’s just the wireless side and just hoping that it fixes my problems as I have just put my package up to 350 - I did ask if I needed new router and the answer was no they are apparently rolling the new ones out in certain areas and I wasn’t one of them 😞 thanks again 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK.  Can you give us a description of property type and size, number of users/devices? 

Whilst your needs might differ, I'd probably be leaning towards a wireless mesh setup that'll cost around £100-£130, such as the TP-LInk Deco M4 I use, but there's plenty of choice.  Avoid anything that doesn't have "gigabit ethernet ports", and be cautious of Amazon/Eero and Google?nest products, as they're usually poor value for what they offer unless they're on special offer, and even then you have to assume that Amazon or Google have an ulterior motive for offering these products, although many people don't mind that..

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

zoe6389
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi, 

so it’s only a 2 bedroom house. 

3 tvs ( Netflix, firestick etc)

two laptops ( 1 plugged in with Ethernet)

two iPads 

ps5 which is next to the router (was plugged in direct but son felt it was faster not being plugged in)

3 iPhones 

I watch (not sure if that counts) 

thank you so much for taking the time out of your evening to try to help 🙂 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Although the Hub 3 doesn't have the best of reputations, the use you describe really ought to be well within its capabilities.  Do devices report weak signals?  Any internal brick or concrete walls?

If you're determined to replace the router, the Asus RT-AC86U is a well regarded router, at a cost of around £160 (you'll need to put the hub in modem mode to get the best from it).  Or if you've got two floors, you could consider a twin unit mesh system, like the TP-Link Deco M4 that I use.

But indulge me if you will and either you (or son) setup a BQM.  Do this over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can do that immediately. I take your point that ethernet seems OK, but if you're having problems with gaming or home working, those are most commonly latency ("ping") related, and usually wifi isn't the culprit.  I am fishing for evidence here, because there is a possible underlying fault with VM, I don't want you spending a load of cash and finding that the problem remains. 

0 Kudos
zoe6389
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

wow thank you its so nice of you,

I think I have done it right, if not let me know and ill try again

www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b8d4a56cb58f469df17fc229e8c4cef0d1f0ee6a

0 Kudos