Menu
hathakate
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

anyone managed to order a WiFi POD recently?

My Tenda Nova Mesh system is killing wifi speed, so was hoping to ditch it and try a WIFI POD to see if that was better, but can't order one, apparently they are too popular!

Wondered if anyone had had any luck getting hold of one recently?

cheers.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: anyone managed to order a WiFi POD recently?

Do you qualify for free ones?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What model of Tenda is it ? Does it have GB ports - if not it will max out at 100mbps - what package are you on and what speeds do you get and expect on your devices?

Not sure a Pod will help - especially at £5/month

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
hathakate
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

it's the MV6 set-up, and we're on the 350 plan. When I put the superhub back into router mode, I get around 300 which is fine, when I put it into modem mode and run the Nova, it varies between 5 and 30!

I'd prefer the 300ish....

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ok there is a sequence you need to follow to use the Tenda with Hub in modem mode which you may not have followed correctly

Set it up again like this and it should sort it - report back.

First set the first Nova unit to operate in "DHCP/Nat" mode. Then Disconnect all cables from it and unplug it from power. Switch of the other Nova's too.

Put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub MUST then be powered off.

Switch on the first Nova again an wait untill it’s fully initialised (leave a few min) and then put in the WAN ethernet cable into the VM hub. Now.... power up the VM hub leave it a few minutes and you should get a proper connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Nova's to the first one.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
hathakate
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

ok, perhaps i missed the 'turn off the hub again' step. why would that affect the speed?

I shall try again!
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Tenda Nova's aren't well reviewed and are old kit now

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi hathakate, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with your WiFi connection. 

I have taken a look at your account to see what is going on and can see the Hub is working as it should be. 

With the WiFi pods, we are currently only able to send these to customers who are having visible issues with low coverage. If you do want a pod, you would need to put the hub back in to normal mode and then allow 24 hours. We can then check the stats, if there is a low coverage issue being picked up, we can then send the pod for you. 

In terms of cost, if you are on the ultimate oomph or 1GB service then it would be free. If you are not then it would be £5 per month. 

Hope that answers any questions regarding them 🙂

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
hathakate
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Ok, thanks. I've switched the hub back into Router mode, I've tried using the 'find wifi blackspot' function int he app, but it won't let me order a pod.

is it just a stock issue?

0 Kudos
hathakate
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

hi,

thanks for your help. I followed the steps, and the wifi speed cranks bakc up to 350, for about half an hour, then drops back to mid 30s!

I suspect it's the NOVA units that are crap.

Waiting to see if Virgin will send me a pod to try, otherwise will have to look for a new mesh system.

cheers.

0 Kudos